JACKSON, Mich., July 5, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Whether it's replacing poles, trimming trees away from power lines or upgrading hubs in the electric grid, Consumers Energy employees are working hard this summer to upgrade Michigan's electric system. The energy provider today released figures that illustrate its work to ensure that Michigan homes and businesses receive the energy they need, whenever they need it.
"Residents and business owners can count on us to deliver electricity around the clock and to work quickly to restore power when it goes out," said Mary Palkovich, Consumers Energy's vice president of energy delivery. "It's important for people to know that we're taking steps every day to strengthen Michigan's electric grid and help make sure the power stays on."
Consumers Energy offered the following 2015 data that reflects its work to upgrade the electric grid:
- 8,916 miles of electric lines inspected and upgraded – Consumers Energy follows national standards with regular maintenance, keeps lines working safely and reducing the likelihood of outages.
- 5,117 miles of electric lines protected by tree trimming – Consumers Energy works to keep trees and limbs away from power lines. Trees are the No. 1 cause of power outages.
- 3,509 poles replaced – Consumers Energy is replacing more electric poles than any time in company history. New poles provide more resistance to potential storm damage.
- 104 substation upgrades – Substations are key hubs for moving electricity through the grid. Consumers Energy has upgraded substations to reduce the risk of equipment problems, and to help keep animals from coming into contact with substation equipment.
- 9,490 equipment connections upgraded – Consumers Energy replaces worn equipment on poles to fix small problems before they turn into bigger ones.
"We are committed to continuously improving the delivery of energy that powers and meets the needs of 1.8 Michigan homes and businesses every day," Palkovich said. "If you see our crews at work this summer, you can be sure they're working to ensure the lights are on for Michigan."
Consumers Energy, Michigan's largest utility, is the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy (NYSE: CMS), providing natural gas and electricity to 6.7 million of the state's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
For more information about Consumers Energy, go to www.ConsumersEnergy.com.
LEARN MORE: Consumers Energy employees upgrade electric and natural gas systems every day. More info: www.ConsumersEnergy.com/reliability
NATURAL GAS UPGRADES:
Consumers Energy is also strengthening and expanding its natural gas system this year:
Check out Consumers Energy on Social Media
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/by-the-numbers-consumers-energy-strengthens-electric-grid-across-michigan-to-power-states-homes-and-businesses-300293446.html
SOURCE Consumers Energy