CHARLOTTE, N.C., May 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP, a leading counselor to global financial institutions and corporations, along with Moore & Van Allen, will host an event Monday, May 9, in Charlotte to discuss the legal challenges that threaten to reshape college sports.
Guest speakers on the featured panel will review current legal issues in the sports industry; discuss the challenges faced by organizations, universities, and other stakeholders amid changes; and debate the merits of various legal challenges. Speakers include the following:
- Jay S. Bilas, Basketball Analyst for ESPN, Of Counsel at Moore & Van Allen LLC, and former collegiate and professional athlete
- Dr. E. Gordon Gee, President of West Virginia University for a second term, and former president of The Ohio State University (two terms), Vanderbilt University, Brown University, and the University of Colorado
- Thomas W. Ross, President Emeritus of the University of North Carolina system, Sanford Distinguished Fellow in Public Policy at the Duke University Sanford School for Public Policy, and professor of public law and government at the UNC Chapel Hill School of Government
- Kenneth L. Wainstein, Chair of the Cadwalader's White Collar Defense and Investigations Group, former Homeland Security Advisor to President George W. Bush, and former Chief of Staff to FBI Director Robert Mueller
Additionally, a primer on emerging legal issues and trends in sports, led by attorneys from Cadwalader's White Collar Defense & Investigations and Antitrust practice groups, will provide context for the featured panel. Speakers include the following:
- Jodi L. Avergun, Partner in the White Collar Defense & Investigations Group, former Chief of Staff of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, and former Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York
- Charles F. ("Rick") Rule, Chair of Cadwalader's Antitrust Group, Co-Chair of the firm's Litigation Department, and former Assistant Attorney General in charge of the DOJ's Antitrust Division
- Anne M. Tompkins, Partner in the White Collar Defense & Investigations Group, and former U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina (Charlotte)
More information about the event can be found on Cadwalader's website at www.cadwalader.com/seminar.
About Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP, established in 1792, serves a diverse client base, including many of the world's leading financial institutions and corporations in more than 50 countries. With offices in New York, London, Charlotte, Washington, Houston, Beijing, Hong Kong and Brussels, Cadwalader offers legal expertise in antitrust, banking, corporate finance, corporate governance, energy, environmental, executive compensation, financial restructuring, health care, intellectual property, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, private wealth, real estate, regulation, securitization, structured finance, tax and white collar defense. For more information, visit www.cadwalader.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cadwalader-hosts-off-the-court-a-candid-conversation-on-the-dynamic-legal-environment-of-college-sports-today-300261167.html
SOURCE Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP