SACRAMENTO, Calif., Aug. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The California Fire Foundation (www.cafirefoundation.org) – the California-based non-profit that provides emotional and financial assistance to families of fallen firefighters, firefighters and the communities they protect – will be launching in September statewide programs and campaigns in recognition of the annual Firefighter Appreciation Month. Firefighter Appreciation Month (FFAM) is a time when businesses, celebrities and individuals acknowledge the work of our local firefighters by raising money for some of the Foundation's key educational, financial, and emotional support initiatives.
To kick off the month, the Foundation will debut a new public service announcement featuring actors and comedians George Lopez and Brad Garrett, two members of the Foundation's Celebrity Heroes roster. The video showcases the types of programs that are funded by donations collected during Firefighter Appreciation Month, such as the California Firefighters Memorial in Sacramento that annually honors firefighters who lost their life in the line of duty, its Supplying Aid to the Victims of Emergency (SAVE) program that provides fire victims debit cards to buy necessities immediately after a fire, and its Firefighters on Your Side education program that educates underserved populations about fire safety.
In addition to Lopez and Garrett, additional members of the Celebrity Heroes list that support the month include Lauren Ash, Ed Begley Jr., Jaime Camil, Eddie Cibrian, Drea De Matteo, Billy Eichner, Johnny Galecki, Dwight Hicks, Kelli Giddish, Rob Lowe, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Olivia Munn and Brian White.
"As a native of Los Angeles, I want to say that firefighters have been around me and my family my whole life. They always responded first, they have always been there to help, to comfort," said Lopez in one of the PSAs, recalling how when he was a child and his grandmother was sick, the firefighters always took the time to make him feel comfortable and tell him she would be alright. "So with Firefighter Appreciation Month, take some time… donate to a firefighter and thank a firefighter when you see them."
"You know California is my home and I have seen many times, first hand, how these firefighters are truly our heroes," said Garrett, a longtime support of our first responders, in one of the clips. "So donate, do the right thing."
In addition to celebrity supporters, several restaurants and businesses across California are creating special promotions for the month of September that will provide a portion of proceeds to California Fire Foundation.
- California Pizza Kitchen: On September 11 at all locations in California, mention the CA Fire Foundation and 20% of your dine-in, take-out, catering, or CPK delivery bill will be donated to the Foundation (some exclusions apply).
- vineyard vines: On September 13, stock up in style at vineyard vines! 20% of sales at all California locations will be donated back to the Foundation.
- Loop Neighborhood: The convenience store will give back 1% off all sales in all stores throughout the month to the Foundation.
- Coral Tree Café: Throughout the month, its location in Beverly Hills will offer a portion of sales of the month's special Firehouse Sliders.
- Heat Holders: Available online, the warmest thermal sock brand will give 1% back of all proceeds.
- Planet Salon: The LA-based hair salon will offer a special $35 blow dry with donations going to the Foundation.
- Panini Kabob Grill: Join them on September 27 from 5-8PM at the Playa Vista Concert Park in Playa Vista, CA as they host a Firefighter Appreciation Celebration featuring family-friendly activities and great food. 100% of food sales at the event will benefit the Foundation.
- Stella Barra Pizzeria and M Street Kitchen: Throughout the month of September, the Santa Monica-based restaurants will feature a signature item that will benefit the Foundation.
- Wag Hotels: The Foundation will be the beneficiary of all tickets sold to the Wag Hotels' Howloween Pawty, taking place on October 27 from 12PM-2PM at all Wag Hotel Locations in California. Tickets can be purchased online at: cafirefoundation.org/thankafirefighter.
"We are thankful for the support of our celebrity and business partners for their dedication to firefighters and their families," said Brian Rice, Chair of the California Fire Foundation and President of California Professional Firefighters. "The awareness and funds they help to raise goes to support our first responders who dedicate their lives to protecting others, especially during what we see as one of the most deadly fire years in California's history."
Firefighter Appreciation Month will close with a special ceremony at the California Firefighters Memorial at the State Capitol in Sacramento, CA on Saturday, September 29th. The Memorial ceremony will feature a uniformed fire procession, tributes, and presentation of the U.S flag to the families of those whose names are being added to the Memorial wall that currently features over 1300 names of those who have lost their lives in the line of duty in California since 1850.
The Foundation will also be asking the public to partake in a recipe challenge on social media. Supporters are asked to post a picture of themselves cooking your favorite meal or favorite recipe that they think can feed a firehouse! Simple tag 5 friends and challenge them to do the same by posting within 5 hours. If they don't, they have to donate $10, but if they do, then the challenger has to chip in. Use #thankafirefighter #ffappreciationmonth #cafirefoundation #uncommoncourage for these posts and any posts in support all month long!
firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 822-9300
About The California Fire Foundation:
The California Fire Foundation is the statewide nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization responsible for building and maintaining the California Firefighters Memorial and hosting the annual California Firefighters Memorial Ceremony. It works closely with local firefighters to provide assistance and support to colleagues and surviving family when a firefighter line-of-duty death occurs. The California Fire Foundation also offers victim assistance programs and fire safety education in underserved communities.
SOURCE California Fire Foundation