WASHINGTON, March 2, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being released today by CARE:
WHAT: Over 1,000 supporters will assemble for CARE's 3-day conference beginning Tuesday, March 8th, 2011—the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day (IWD). The event kicks off with a concert headlined by India.Arie and featuring performances by other musical artists dedicated to empowering women.
Following Tuesday's concert, attendees will gather on March 9th for a day-long conference on CARE's unique 360-degree approach to empowering women, hearing from high-profile experts such as former First Lady Laura Bush, Melinda Gates, Ambassador Melanne Verveer, USAID Administrator Dr. Rajiv Shah and CARE President & CEO Dr. Helene Gayle. Speakers will address development and women's issues including the critical need for foreign aid funding, the importance of quality education for girls and economic opportunities for women.
A keynote address by Congresswoman Kay Granger (R-TX) will kick off CARE's lobby day on March 10th. More than 1,000 CARE advocates from nearly every state will head to Capitol Hill to meet with their Congressional representatives and take an active role in influencing U.S. policy to improve the lives of millions of marginalized women and girls around the world.
For further information, please visit: http://www.careconference.org/events.asp.
WHO: Over the 3-day period, CARE advocates will hear from the following:
- Dr. Helene Gayle, CARE USA CEO & President
- Mrs. Laura W. Bush, Former First Lady
- Barbara Bush, President & Co-Founder, Global Health Corps
- Jenna Bush Hager, Contributing Correspondent, NBC News' "Today"
- The Honorable Melanne Verveer, Ambassador-At-Large for Global Women's Issues
- Melinda Gates, Co-Chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- The Honorable Dr. Rajiv Shah, Administrator, USAID
- The Honorable Kay Granger (R-TX), Chair, House Appropriations Subcommittee on State and Foreign Operations
- The Honorable Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), U.S. House of Representatives
- The Honorable Jim McGovern (D-MA), U.S. House of Representatives
- The Honorable Laura Richardson (D-CA), U.S. House of Representatives
- The Honorable Aaron Schock (R-IL), U.S. House of Representatives
- Lloyd Blankfein, Chairman & CEO, Goldman Sachs
- Sheila Johnson, Founder, BET & Owner WNBA Washington Mystics
- Judy Woodruff, Senior Correspondent, NewsHour, PBS
- Maria Menounos, Special Correspondent, Access Hollywood
- Gabrielle Union, Actress, CARE Ambassador
- Christie Turlington Burns, Maternal Health Advocate, CARE USA
- Auma Obama, Technical Advisor, Sports for Social Change Initiative, CARE USA
- India.Arie, Musician, 2010 Grammy Winner
- Michael Franti, Musician, 2011 Nominee of NAACP Image Award
- Sarah Darling, Musician
WHEN: March 8-10, 2011
WHERE: Washington Hilton
1919 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20009