MINNEAPOLIS, June 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Demonstrating how it can help food and beverage manufacturers, restaurant and food service operators and school nutrition experts develop products that address the nutritional needs of children, Cargill will showcase new ingredients and ideas for creating breakthrough products at the 2012 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Food Expo, June 26-28, 2012, at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Visitors to the booth (#1721) can learn more about Cargill's solutions and technical expertise which enable the formulation of great tasting kid-friendly products that contain less sodium, calories and fat, and more whole grains, fiber and protein:
- Chicken quesadillas, featuring the SodiumSense™ sodium reduction system, deliver a great-tasting quesadilla with 25 percent less sodium than traditional chicken quesadillas. The tortillas also offer whole grain nutrition benefits.
- Reduced fat mini burgers, featuring Prosante® textured soy flour, Accubind™ stabilizer system, MaizeWise® whole grain corn and Horizon Milling's WheatSelect® white whole wheat flour, exhibit a great tasting, cost effective, reduced fat mini-beef patty on a whole wheat bun.
- Blueberry snack bars with yogurt flavored drizzle, featuring Wilbur® Y248 yogurt flavored confectionery coating, Horizon Milling's WheatSelect® white whole wheat flour, CitriTex® stabilizer blend and Oliggo-Fiber® inulin, meet the 30/10/30 rule (30 percent or less calories from fat; 10 percent or less calories from saturated fat; at least 30 percent less sugar by weight) for school nutrition programs. The snack bars also offer whole grain nutrition benefits, as well as "good source of fiber" and "low fat" claims.
- Pretzels, featuring Oliggo-Fiber® inulin, deliver a tasty snack that also is nutritious – one serving provides a good source of fiber.
- Reduced fat muffins, featuring CitriTex® stabilizer blend and Clear Valley® 65 high oleic canola oil, creates a springy, tasty muffin with 40 percent less fat than traditional muffins.
- Raspberry juice beverages, featuring Xtend® sucromalt, for a reduced sugar juice when compared to sugar sweetened juice beverages. In addition, sucromalt's slowly digestible, low-glycemic properties help to provide a balanced release of energy in the body.
- Reduced-sugar chocolate milk, featuring Truvia® natural sweetener, delivers a kid-friendly milk with 25 percent less sugar than traditional chocolate milk.
Other featured concepts, targeted to mom and dad, include:
- Sugar-free mint patties, featuring Zerose® erythritol, Maltidex® maltitol syrup and Wilbur® V829 Pegasus™ dark chocolate flavored sugar free coating, provide a sweet treat with 33 percent fewer calories than the leading peppermint patty.
- Shelf-stable omega-3 nutritional beverages, featuring Clear Valley® omega-3 oil, satisfy consumers' demand for easy ways to incorporate omega-3 into their diets with an "excellent" source of ALA omega-3 claim.
Additionally, to help customers better understand the changing regulatory environment as it pertains to childhood nutrition recommendations, Cargill Regulatory Senior Scientist Kristen Dammann, Ph.D. and registered dietitian, will conduct live presentations in the booth on Tues., June 26, at 1:30 p.m. and Wed., June 27, at 11:00 a.m. These sessions will provide an overview of policies, regulations and recommendations – such as the new standards for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program, Menu Labeling, Guidelines for Food Marketed to Children, and the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans – and how they are impacting the food industry.
Cargill also will host a press conference (exclusively for members of the media) at the booth on Tues., June 26, at 1:00 p.m. to discuss new ingredient innovations, including:
- SodiumSense™ sodium reduction system – A new, cost effective, turnkey solution for manufacturers who want to reduce sodium up to 50 percent in products like sauces, cheese, processed meats, prepared meals, salted snacks, soups, and baked goods without any noticeable impact on flavor.
- Emerging preclinical research that suggests glucosamine may help to support healthy aging of joints and cartilage, and information about how Regenasure® glucosamine can be used in products targeted to Generations X and Y.
If you are interested in attending, please contact Niki Larson at [email protected].
Cargill is an international producer and marketer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. Founded in 1865, the privately held company employs 139,000 people in 65 countries. Cargill helps customers succeed through collaboration and innovation, and is committed to applying its global knowledge and experience to help meet economic, environmental and social challenges wherever it does business. For more information, visit Cargill.com and its news center.