CHICAGO, May 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- A new video released today by the American Association of Endodontists helps patients understand how the advanced training, specialized techniques and superior technologies used by endodontists help save teeth. Endodontists are dental specialists who perform root canal treatment and other endodontic procedures to treat dental infections, relieve pain and help patients keep their natural teeth. In a recent AAE survey, 78 percent of Americans said they want to avoid losing a permanent tooth.
"If a patient is told that a tooth should be extracted, they should seek a second opinion from an endodontist, who may be able to save the tooth through root canal treatment," said AAE President Dr. Garry Myers. "No tooth replacement will look, feel or function as well as a natural tooth."
The AAE celebrates Root Canal Awareness Week to educate the public about modern root canal treatment and endodontists as the specialists in saving teeth. Endodontists:
- Complete at least 10 years of higher education, including four years of dental school and two to three years of specialty training after earning a dental degree.
- Perform routine and complex procedures, including root canal treatment, root canal retreatment and endodonic microsurgery.
- Are skilled in finding the cause of oral and facial pain.
- Are experts in applying local anesthesia, ensuring patients are completely numb and comfortable during their procedures.
- Use a dental dam for all root canal procedures to isolate the tooth and protect the patient's airway.
- Utilize operating microscopes to enhance their ability to see the tiny root canal space inside a tooth.
- Employ digital and 3-D imaging to fully visualize the patient's teeth and supporting structures.
"All endodontists are dentists, but less than three percent of dentists are endodontists," said Dr. Myers. "While your general dentist is like a family doctor, great for regular cleanings, check-ups and general oral health, if you need root canal treatment, you should see an endodontist, who has specialized training to become an expert in performing root canal treatment and diagnosing and treating tooth pain."
For more information about the AAE and Root Canal Awareness Week, follow the AAE on Twitter at @savingyourteeth or search #rootcanal. To find an endodontist in your area, use the Find an Endodontist feature at www.aae.org/find.
About the American Association of Endodontists
The American Association of Endodontists, headquartered in Chicago, Ill., represents more than 8,000 members worldwide. Endodontics is one of nine dental specialties formally recognized by the American Dental Association. The AAE, founded in 1943, is dedicated to excellence in the art and science of endodontics and to the highest standard of patient care. The Association inspires its members to pursue professional advancement and personal fulfillment through education, research, advocacy, leadership, communication and service. For more information about the AAE, visit the Association's website at www.aae.org.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/celebrating-the-superheroes-of-saving-teeth-300453084.html
SOURCE American Association of Endodontists