Home Subscriber Server and Policy Controller to enable innovative
LTE and Femtocell services
CHICAGO, Oct. 18 /PRNewswire/ - Bridgewater Systems (TSX: BWC), the mobile personalization company, today announced that Cellcom, a leading provider of communications services throughout Wisconsin and Michigan, has selected the Bridgewater® EPC 500 system to deliver IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) femtocell services and for its LTE network rollout.
- Cellcom is deploying the Bridgewater EPC 500 system for IMS femtocell services and for the launch of LTE broadband services. The EPC 500 is a comprehensive, integrated control plane system that provides subscriber, device, and femtocell data management, policy control, and interworking functions for the LTE Evolved Packet Core. It includes the Bridgewater® Home Subscriber Server and Policy Controller (PCRF) both anchored by Bridgewater's Subscriber Data Broker™. The EPC 500 is fully compliant with LTE and IMS specifications and features extensive, multi-vendor interoperability.
- It enables Cellcom to:
- Rapidly and cost-effectively launch femtocell and LTE services using a fully integrated and tested EPC system to support functions such as subscriber and service modeling, roaming, and quality of service management;
- Offload mobile data traffic from congested 3G networks to femtocells and improve indoor coverage; and
- Implement smart subscriber, service, and policy controls to manage the complexities of mobile data traffic, subscriber, device, and application growth across multiple access networks.
- Femtocells are mini low-powered cell-sites that connect mobile devices to the network through a wireline broadband connection. They significantly improved indoor mobile coverage, enable multimedia services, and can also alleviate 3G network congestion by offloading data traffic. Cellcom is a member of the international Femto Forum and is one of four U.S. carriers who have publicly committed to femtocell deployment. .
Robert Riordan, Executive Vice President, Cellcom
"Bridgewater is recognized as an industry control plane leader. We chose the Bridgewater EPC 500 system because it is a leading edge, standards-based platform that works across multiple access networks including LTE and femtocells. It will immediately be part of our femtocell trial as we continue plans for a commercial launch in 2010."
David Sharpley, Senior Vice President, Bridgewater Systems
"As an innovative, early adopter of LTE and femtocell technology, Cellcom is demonstrating how managing subscribers, devices and applications across multiple access networks can deliver significant value to mobile subscribers. Bridgewater's early success with the EPC 500 integrated Home Subscriber Server and Policy Controller system coupled with our deep control plane expertise across all mobile access technologies is giving us a significant competitive advantage in the market."
Tags / Keywords
Bridgewater Systems, Cellcom, LTE, EPC 500, Home Subscriber Server, HSS, Policy Controller, PCRF, Femtocells, Evolved Packet Core
Cellcom is a subsidiary of Nsight, a 100-year-old telecommunications company that is recognized for its entrepreneurial spirit and innovative use of technology. Cellcom's renowned network is customized to their rural markets and customers. Cellcom is a sister company of Nsight Telservices and is a provider of communications services throughout Wisconsin and Michigan, with more than 80 retail and agent locations.
About Bridgewater Systems
Bridgewater Systems, the mobile personalization company, enables service providers to efficiently manage and profit from mobile data services, content and commerce. The company's market leading mobile personalization portfolio provides a real-time, unified view of subscribers including entitlements, devices, networks, billing profiles, preferences and context. Anchored by Bridgewater's Subscriber Data Broker™, the portfolio of carrier-grade and standards-based products includes the Bridgewater® Service Controller (AAA), the Bridgewater® Policy Controller (PCRF) and the Bridgewater® Home Subscriber Server (HSS). More than 150 leading service providers including America Movil, Bell Canada, Clearwire, Cox, Hutchison Telecom, Iusacell, Scartel, SmarTone-Vodafone, Sprint, Tata Teleservices, Tatung, Telmex, Telstra, and Verizon Wireless use Bridgewater's solutions to rapidly deliver innovative mobile services to over 150 million subscribers. For more information, visit us at href="http://www.bridgewatersystems.com/Home.aspx">www.bridgewatersystems.com.
Bridgewater, Bridgewater Systems, the Bridgewater Systems logo, WideSpan, Smart Caps, myPolicy, and Subscriber Data Broker are trademarks or registered trademarks of Bridgewater Systems Corporation. All other company, product names and any registered and unregistered trademarks mentioned are used for identification purposes only and remain the exclusive property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Bridgewater Systems