WASHINGTON, May 10, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The Center for Plain Language has awarded its 2017 ClearMark Awards for the best communications in plain language. The awards were presented at the eighth annual ClearMark Awards banquet held at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. on May 9th.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau won the Grand ClearMark for their website Planning for Retirement, a consumer resource to help people decide when to claim Social Security benefits. The University of Arkansas Medical Sciences Center for Health Literacy won the Spanish Grand ClearMark for its handbook How to Talk to Your Doctor - Spanish, intended to help the Spanish-speaking community communicate with their medical professionals.
In addition to the grand prize awards, the Center for Plain Language also presented ClearMark Awards for the best in Original Documents, Revised Documents, Websites, Multimedia, and Spanish Documents. The winners are:
- Long: InJoy Health Education, Understanding Your Newborn Guide
- Short: March of Dimes, How long should I wait before getting pregnant again?
- Long: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Behind on Bills? Start With One Step
- Short: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, State Park Back-of-Map Redesign
- Long: Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO), Steps in a Family Law Case
- Short: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Planning for Retirement*
- Long: Emmi, Health Insurance: What You Need to Know
- Short: AARP, AARP Livable Communities Weekly e-Newsletter
- The University of Arkansas Medical Sciences Center for Health Literacy, How to Talk to Your Doctor - Spanish*
"The Center is pleased to honor once again the best plain language writing of the year," said Susan Kleimann, Center for Plain Language chair. "We're excited to see so many successes in so many different fields. These winners demonstrate that attention to plain language is a core business practice that creates value for the customers and the business alike — every audience, every format, every time."
To see a complete list of all ClearMark finalists and winners visit the Center for Plain Language's website.
The Center for Plain Language, a non-profit organization, helps government agencies and businesses write clear and understandable documents. The Center supports those who use plain language, trains those who should use plain language, and urges people to demand plain language in all the documents they receive, read, and use. For more information and to become a member, visit: centerforplainlanguage.org.
* 2017 Grand ClearMark Award Winner
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/center-for-plain-language-honors-the-best-in-clear-communication-300454927.html
SOURCE The Center for Plain Language