UITHOORN, The Netherlands, June 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Hoya appointed Mr. Donald Currie as the Managing Director of HOYA Hill Optics following the acquisition of 100% of the shares in the company.
Managing Director and founder of Hill Optics, Mr. Clifford Sher, will resign on June 30th 2012, while Mr. Donald Currie, who until recently held the position of Managing Director at Carl Zeiss Vision joined HOYA Hill Optics from June 1st. Mr. Currie has over 20 years of experience in the international optical industry with companies such as Johnson & Johnson, Transitions, Carl Zeiss Vision and Hoya.
Hans Werquin, CEO of Hoya Vision Care Europe, comments: "For HOYA, there are immense opportunities for growth in the South African market. We thank Clifford Sher for his relentless efforts to supply our South African customers with the best products and the best service. We are fortunate to have found Donald to take over the helm at HOYA Hill Optics. With his international optical background and strong business acumen he is the right person to continue the rapid development of HOYA."
About HOYA Hill Optics (Pty) Ltd
HOYA Hill Optics (Pty) Ltd is a leading manufacturer and distributor of ophthalmic lenses in South Africa. Hill Optics (Pty) Ltd was founded by Clifford Sher in 1984. HOYA Vision Care and Hill Optics (Pty) Ltd have worked together under exclusive arrangement since 1997. In 2006, HOYA acquired a 51 % share in Hill Optics (Pty) Ltd., after which the company continued under the name HOYA Hill Optics (Pty) Ltd. In 2011, HOYA acquired the remaining 49 % of shares. HOYA Hill Optics employs 250 people in 3 branches: Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town.
About Hoya Corporation
HOYA is a Japanese multinational med-tech company and leading supplier of innovative and indispensable high-tech and healthcare products based on its advanced optics technologies. HOYA is active in two main business segments: The Life Care segment deals in health care related products such as eyeglass lenses and operates retail shops for contact lenses, as well as medical related products such as intraocular lenses for cataract surgery and medical endoscopes. The Information Technology segment handles electronics products such as mask blanks and photo masks for semiconductors and LCD panels, glass disks for HDDs and imaging related products such as optical lenses, lens modules and micro lenses for digital cameras. HOYA Group comprises of over 100 subsidiaries and affiliates and over 32,300 people worldwide.
SOURCE Hoya Corporation