PORTLAND, Ore., Dec. 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- In celebration of its 10th year of supporting charter schools across the country, Charter School Capital, the nation's leading provider of growth capital and facilities financing to charter schools, has chosen to feature 10 Stories of Inspiration, drawn from entries made by people young and old who shared their personal stories of how teachers changed the trajectory of their lives.
"Everyone has a special teacher in their life who helped them become who they are today," said Stuart Ellis, Charter School Capital Founder, President and CEO. "We are inspired by these stories, and encouraged that we continue to support today's teachers inspiring a new generation of achievers."
"He had seen me. He had seen potential in me… By the time I left Four Corners Elementary School, Mr. Presley had opened my eyes to what was inside of me and gave me a passion and pride for learning which exists to this day. Invisibility was never again my standard of success." Read the full story.
Charter School Capital is donating a total of $10,000 in school grants – $1,000 to 10 different charter schools. The authors of the featured essays have chosen the charter schools to receive the donated funds. They are:
- Shay Angelo, Pocatello, IdahoInspirational teacher: Mr. Presley (4th - 6th grade), Four Corners Elementary School,Salem, Ore. Grant recipient: Gem Prep, Pocatello, Idaho
- Henry Buford, Springhill, Fla.Inspirational teacher: Miss Archer (1st grade), Ben Hill Country Elementary School,Fitzgerald, Ga.Grant recipient: Brooksville Engineering, Science & Technology Academy,Brooksville, Fla.
- Casey Frensz, Minneapolis, Minn.Inspirational teacher: Mr. Weber (6th - 8th grade), Whitefish Bay Middle School,Whitefish Bay, Wis.Grant recipient: Upper Mississippi Academy, St. Paul, Minn.
- Berenice Cortez, Oakland, Calif. Inspirational teacher: Mr. Barglow, (11th grade), Skyline High School, Oakland, Calif.Grant Recipient: Education for Change, multiple locations
- Zoey Mahlmann, Roseville, Calif. Inspirational teacher: Mrs. Joe (8th grade), South Sutter Charter School, Placerville,Calif.Grant Recipient: South Sutter Charter School, Placerville, Calif.
- Nicole Aleman, Mesa, Calif. Inspirational teacher: Mrs. Hall (3rd grade), Eagle Ridge Elementary School, Phoenix,Ariz.Grant Recipient: Learning Foundation Stapely Campus, Mesa, Ariz.
- Jenifer Hunt, Phoenix, Ariz.Inspirational teacher: Mrs. Mendoza (principal), ASU Preparatory Poly STEM Academy,Mesa, Ariz.Grant Recipient: ASU Preparatory Poly STEM Academy, Mesa, Ariz.
- Stefanie Contreras, Phoenix, Ariz.Inspirational teacher: Mrs. Bejarano (1st - 3rd grade), ASU Preparatory Poly STEMAcademy, Mesa, Ariz.Grant Recipient: ASU Preparatory Poly STEM Academy, Mesa, Ariz.
- Dr. Ernestine Barnes-Small, Charleston, S.C. Inspirational teacher: Mrs. Hart (6th grade), West Edgecombe High School, RockyMount, N.C. Grant Recipient: Charleston Development Academy, Charleston, S.C.
- Veronica Melvin, Burbank, Calif.Inspirational teacher: Mrs. McCarthy (6th grade), La Mesa-Spring Valley Schools,Maryland Avenue Campus, La Mesa, Calif.Grant Recipient: LA Promise Charter High School #1, Los Angeles
The review committee that selected 10 of the most inspiring stories was comprised of these individuals:
- Ricardo Mireles, Executive Director of Academia Avance Charter School
- Dr. Darlene Chambers, Senior Vice President for Programs and Services at the National Charter School Institute
- John Cairns, Attorney and Consultant at John Cairns Law
- Janet Johnson, Chief Marketing Officer at Charter School Capital
About Charter School Capital:
Launched in 2006, Charter School Capital delivers access to growth capital and facilities financing to charter schools nationwide, opening the funding options charter schools historically have not had. Charter School Capital has provided $2 billion in funding to 600+ charter schools, providing high-quality education to more than 800,000 students across the United States. For more information, visit charterschoolcapital.org or email GrowCharters@charterschoolcapital.org.
SOURCE Charter School Capital