LONDON, December 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Chevrolet Corvette plays a big role in Hollywood
- Launch of the new Corvette 427 Convertible Collector's Edition
Famed for its enviable looks and powerful performance, Chevrolet's legendary Corvette is celebrating a unique milestone in the upcoming year - its 60th Anniversary.
The Corvette exemplifies a true sports car - simply cool and exciting, traits that have been underlined by its image in pop culture. However, undeniable style isn't all that the Corvette possesses - it is safe and more importantly, comfortable for everyday driving.
The fame of Corvette has long been established through its success in American culture and its technical refinement. Over the course of time, a wide variety of innovative features have contributed to its growth: Examples from the last decades include extended mobility tires (also known as run-flat tires), the head-up display, which projects important data on the windshield in plain view of the driver, as well as magnetic selective ride control which enables real-time damping.
Together with its constant technological advancements, the demand for Corvettes to appear alongside famous actors and actresses has also not died down. This trend serves to illustrate America's 60 year old love affair with the iconic car.
Corvette takes the lead on the silver screen
Chevrolet's significance in the American cultural landscape is as obvious on the streets as it is in the arts and entertainment. From action-packed adventure films to TV dramas, Chevrolet's Corvette has taken 1,434 lead or supporting roles in television shows and Hollywood films, firmly establishing itself in American pop culture.
The Internet Movie Cars Database has recognized top movies featuring Corvettes - a short selection includes:
- Rush Hour (1998) - James Carter, the fast talking and quick witted detective, drives a sleek 1971 Chevrolet Corvette. The car makes for a perfect accessory to his quick paced, exciting, and adventurous lifestyle.
- CARS 2 (2011) - Chevrolet NASCAR legend Jeff Gordon provides the voice for a Corvette C6.R character called Jeff Gorvette in the Disney-Pixar-animated film.
- Corvette Summer (1978) - The leading man heads on an adventure to find his stolen 1973 Corvette Stingray, the ultimate object of desire in this classic teen summer movie.
- Route 66 (1960-1964) - The iconic vehicle that stays true to the characters throughout their travels is a red 1960 Chevrolet Corvette convertible. The first season originally used a 1959 Chevrolet Corvette convertible, but then upgraded to the 1960 in the second season to push the newest product. Coincidentally, this product placement caused Corvette sales to double during the first season alone!
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) - The sexy silver 2009 Corvette Stingray concept car was featured as Sideswipe, Autobot sidekick to Optimus Prime, giving the Corvette a mysterious and powerful aura, almost "out of this world".
- Glee (Season 2, Episode 2) - The 2011 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport proved to be an instrument of power for Will Schuester and his arch nemesis Carl Howell when it came to vying for the attention of sweet-natured guidance counselor Emma Pillsbury. Maybe Corvettes are more instrumental than music to gain the attention of the woman you love?
"Corvette is admired the world over and there are few world-class vehicles that can match its iconic status and successes," says Chevrolet Europe public relations director Vijay Iyer. "Big or small screen stories go beyond movie theaters, creating a unique emotional bond with the audience."
Launch of the new Corvette 427 Convertible Collector's Edition
The new Corvette 427 Convertible Collector's Edition was specifically built to commemorate the 60th anniversary of this legendary sports car. It is the fastest Corvette convertible ever built and includes the high-tech features that the nameplate has become renowned for.
"For almost 60 years, Corvette has offered state-of-the-art features, technologies and incredible performance," says Executive Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter, the man responsible for overseeing the design of the Corvette 427 Convertible Collector's Edition.
With 60 years in its pocket, the Corvette continues to embody both technological advancement and fame in the film industry. Like wine, the Corvette only gets better with age! And the story is far from over: Next year's North American International Auto Show in Detroit will see the official reveal of the much anticipated Chevrolet Corvette C7.
Movie entries on imcdb.org - Of the currently 29,478 movie entries listed, a Corvette is featured in 1,434 entries playing main roles to background cars.
Chevrolet is General Motors' largest global brand with annual sales of more than four million vehicles in more than 140 countries. It is the fourth biggest global car brand in terms of sales and also one of the fastest growing brands in the world. Chevrolet cars combine bold design, performance, innovation and practicality. They provide outstanding value for money. Established in the U.S. by Swiss émigré Louis Chevrolet in 1911, the brand celebrated its centenary in 2011. The brand was re-launched in Europe in 2005. It is represented with a total of 2,500 sales and service outlets in Western and Central Europe. The UK Chevrolet line-up includes the Spark city car, the Aveo, the compact Cruze, the Orlando family van, the Captiva SUV, the legendary Camaro and Corvette sports cars and the extended-range Volt electric car. In 2012, Chevrolet launched the Cruze station wagon. More information on Chevrolet can be found at http://www.chevrolet.co.uk or media.chevrolet.co.uk.
PR Executive / Chevrolet UK and Ireland
Phone: +44-1582-426723 / +44-7432-101690