CHICAGO, July 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Chicago Tribune will introduce a new digital experience tomorrow, designed to dramatically increase functionality for users on any platform. The fully-responsive experience – which intuitively tailors content based on device – is designed to help audiences discover news and information in the most entertaining, empowering way possible, whether on the desktop, laptop, smartphone or tablet. The University of Chicago is the presenting sponsor of the new consumer experience.
"Chicago Tribune is at the center of news and information in greater Chicago, and our new digital experience makes it easier for our audience to stay connected to the stories that are important and relevant," said Tony Hunter, CEO of Chicago Tribune Media Group. "We built the new experience from the ground up to give readers more of what they value most – premium content – and we designed it to facilitate dynamic discovery across all devices."
Conceived as mobile-first, the new site adjusts to fit all devices and lifestyles, featuring a visually-striking, bold design that eliminates clutter and highlights the Chicago Tribune's marquee print and video journalism. Adaptive, time-based content strategically aligns reader engagement patterns with content that matters most to visitors at certain times throughout the day. The endless scroll technology treats all article pages as importantly as the homepage, by presenting each as destinations with no dead ends.
"The new platform gives us flexibility to expand content verticals and distribution channels to create more opportunities for marketing partners to engage with our audience," says Bill Adee, Executive Vice President of Digital Development and Operations for Tribune Publishing. "It combines best-in-breed development with exceptional journalism, resulting in a rich experience that seamlessly comes to life across all screens."
Other features of the new site include:
- Greater emphasis on premium content, with an enhanced focus on watchdog reporting, Chicago sports, breaking local news and Chicago politics, to provide a unique perspective on life in Chicago.
- Visual Browse provides a photo-centric browsing option that allows readers to discover the news first through captivating images, before clicking to read more.
- Endless discovery allows for one piece of content to flow to the next, with section fronts and article pages anchored by a row of thumbnails that automatically transport readers to related coverage or other sections.
- Quick-review, pre-populated sharelines and pull quotes, allowing for effortless sharing on social media channels.
- Stunning in-context video and photo galleries and slide-out panels to enhance story-telling abilities and reader experience.
Click here to take a tour of the site. Follow the conversation on social media at #newchicagotribune.
About Chicago Tribune Media Group
CHICAGO TRIBUNE MEDIA GROUP (CTMG) is a media and business services company that publishes the Pulitzer Prize-winning Chicago Tribune. CTMG also produces related print and interactive media serving Chicagoland like RedEye, Hoy, Chicago Magazine, Naperville Magazine, TribLocal, The Mash, chicagotribune.com, chicagonow.com and metromix.com. Reaching 4.8 million adults each week in the greater Chicago area, CTMG is the leading news and information destination in Chicagoland.
SOURCE Chicago Tribune