KANSAS CITY, Mo., June 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics ranks among the nation's top pediatric hospitals, according to U.S. News and World Report's 2012-13 "Best Children's Hospitals" rankings. For the second year in a row, the hospital is one of only a small number to be ranked in all 10 specialties.
The rankings feature 50 hospitals in each of 10 pediatric specialties: nephrology (#6), cancer (#36), cardiology and heart surgery (#39), diabetes and endocrinology (#34), gastroenterology (#30), neonatology (#32), neurology and neurosurgery (#42), orthopedics (#31), pulmonology (#48), and urology (#32).
"We are proud of the quality care our entire Children's Mercy staff provides each day; their compassion and commitment is truly unmatched. Being recognized among the nation's best children's hospitals for the fifth consecutive year and second year in all 10 specialties is a testament to their work," says Children's Mercy president and CEO, Randall L. O'Donnell, PhD.
This year, U.S. News surveyed 178 pediatric centers to obtain hard data such as availability of key resources and ability to prevent complications and infections. The hospital survey made up 75 percent of the rankings. A separate reputational survey in which 1,500 pediatric specialists—150 in each specialty—were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty made up the remaining 25 percent.
The full rankings and methodology are available at www.usnews.com/childrenshospitals. The rankings will also be published in the U.S. News Best Hospitals 2013 guidebook, which will be available in August.
About Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics
Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, located in Kansas City, Mo., is one of the nation's top pediatric medical centers. The 319-bed hospital provides care for children from birth through the age of 18, has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of "America's Best Children's Hospitals," and recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center with Magnet designation for excellence in nursing services. Its faculty of 600 pediatricians and researchers across more than 40 subspecialties are actively involved in clinical care, pediatric research, and educating the next generation of pediatric subspecialists. For more information about Children's Mercy and its research, visit childrensmercy.org or download our mobile phone app CMH4YOU for all phone types. For breaking news and videos, follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
SOURCE Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics