DEERFIELD, Ill., July 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- "Don't sip -- let me take a pic!" Social sharing has become an essential element to the overall cocktail experience, according to a recent survey conducted by Sauza® Tequila, the world's #2 premium tequila. More than half (51 percent) of cocktail fans in America who are active on social media are eager to snap photos of their drinks and share them with friends and family. Sauza polled more than 950 Americans 21 and older to crack the code on sharing and engaging with cocktail photos on social media. In honor of America's love of cocktails, Sauza will kick-off its "Pitcher Perfect Picture" campaign, with a focus on taking crave-worthy cocktail photos and encourages fans to share their own.
With such fervor for sharing, it's no wonder that cocktail fans will go to great lengths to make sure their drinks are picture perfect! Nearly a quarter (22 percent) of cocktail paparazzi have played the role of "photo editor" by rearranging the table setting or lighting, forbidding friends to take a sip or ordering garnishes to make the drink look more appealing.
"The rise in social media and photo sharing apps has led to a fundamental shift in the way our fans are engaging and sharing memories with family and friends," said Claire Richards, senior director of tequilas at Beam Suntory. "We're joining in on the fun and connecting with our fans by offering tips on taking the best cocktail photos for social media. Sauza delivers the perfect cocktails that not only tastes delicious but also makes the perfect cameo in social media shots."
Here's what's trending:
- The margarita takes the cake: Margaritas are the most popular cocktails to order in pitcher form with friends (80 percent). The popular drink also reigns supreme on social---almost two in three social media users (65 percent) are more likely to share a photo of a margarita than any other cocktail.
- Don't be jealous of a good time: People are far more likely to share a cocktail photo to record or celebrate an occasion (63 percent) than to make others jealous (14 percent); however, more than twice as many men as women (20 percent vs. 9 percent) admit their motivation is to evoke envy amongst their friends or followers.
- Share the love: Nearly three times as many respondents say they post cocktail photos to recommend the drink to their friends or followers (39 percent) rather than show off (14 percent).
- A picture's worth a thousand words: Americans are most likely to "favorite" or "like" a cocktail photo on social media because it looks appetizing (29 percent) or is being enjoyed by the people in the picture (22 percent), rather than if the description sounds appealing (10 percent).
"Pitcher Perfect Picture" Campaign
To further craft "likable" photos -- and cocktails -- Sauza is partnering with lifestyle photographer, Michelle Yam, for a campaign titled "Pitcher Perfect Picture"---a social media effort that celebrates the art of taking crave-worthy cocktail photos. Sauza has enlisted Michelle to share her tips on taking the perfect photo, evaluating angles, shadows, filters and more.
As part of the "Pitcher Perfect Picture" campaign, Sauza is encouraging consumers to join in on the fun and share their cocktail pitcher photos on social media, using the #SauzaPitcherPics hashtag. Photos should include a pitcher of cocktails and a bottle of Sauza Tequila. Whether it's enjoying a pitcher of margaritas poolside with friends or during a family dinner, consumers are encouraged to share their summertime memories.
With an extensive background in food, travel and lifestyle photography, Michelle Yam knows what it takes to create pitcher perfect pictures on social. To make the most of your photos on Instagram, Michelle recommends:
- Play with focus. Landscape photos have a larger depth of field than close-up images---the background isn't the focal point, but provides great visual depth. To play with depths, use the tilt-shift function on the Instagram toolbar to blur out your surroundings with ease.
- The view from above: While the overall cocktail certainly makes for a crave-worthy photo, sometimes the beauty is in the details. To highlight, play with distance when taking your picture---an aerial close-up of your garnishes or glassware can often be more striking than a straight-on view.
- The journey is just as beautiful as the destination: From pouring the bottle to slicing the garnishes, action shots of the cocktail prep can be just as interesting as the finished product. Embrace prep materials, including the shaker and garnishes---they add different textures and colors to your shot.
- Embrace color: When your environment is as beautiful as a poolside locale, experiment with different shots to incorporate the various colors. Use the ground or ledge as a neutral backdrop.
Fielded in June 2015 to 953 nationally representative Americans ages 21 and over by Kelton, the referenced omnibus survey examined consumers' behavior and preferences for sharing and engaging with cocktail photos on social media. The chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3.2 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all personas in the universe represented by the sample. The margin of error for any subgroups will be slightly higher.
About Sauza® Tequila
Sauza® Tequila, the world's #2 premium tequila, is the perfect complement to any night, allowing every moment to become a celebration. Each bottle of Sauza® Tequila, the margarita's favorite tequila, is carefully crafted with the finest, fresh blue agave from the storied La Perseverancia distillery in Jalisco, Mexico using a process deeply rooted in tradition since 1873. Sauza® offers a full line of refreshingly real tequila including Sauza® Tequila Gold, Sauza® Tequila Silver, Sauza® Signature Blue Reposado Tequila, Sauza® Signature Blue Silver Tequila, Sauza® Sparkling Margarita and new Sauza® Cucumber Chili Tequila.
Passed down through three generations of the Sauza family, Sauza® Tequila has been defining authentic tequila for more than 140 years. The brand proudly continues the high level of craftsmanship that Don Cenobio Sauza implemented including a category leading process of caring for precious agave plants, which are ripened to perfection over six to eight years in Jalisco, Mexico's agave fields. With fresh perspectives on old traditions, Sauza® Tequila brings people together to share the best tequila Mexico has to offer. Casa Sauza leads the category in caring for our precious agave plants to ensure a constant supply of the best agaves in the region.Casa Sauza leads the category in caring for our precious agave plants to ensure a constant supply of the best agaves in the region.Casa Sauza leads the category in caring for our precious agave plants to ensure a constant supply of the best agaves in the region.Sauza leads the category in caring for our precious agave plants to ensure a constant supply of the best agaves in the region.Sauza leads the category in caring for our precious agave plants to ensure a constant supply of the best agaves in the region.
About Beam Suntory Inc.
As the world's third largest premium spirits company, Beam Suntory is Crafting the Spirits Brands that Stir the World. Consumers from all corners of the globe call for the company's brands, including the iconic Jim Beam and Maker's Mark bourbon brands and Suntory whisky Kakubin, as well as world renowned premium brands including Knob Creek bourbon, Yamazaki, Hakushu and Hibiki Japanese whiskies, Teacher's, Laphroaig, and Bowmore Scotch whiskies, Canadian Club whisky, Courvoisier cognac, Sauza tequila, Pinnacle vodka, and Midori liqueur.
Beam Suntory was created in 2014 by combining the world leader in bourbon and the pioneer in Japanese whisky to form a new company with a deep heritage, passion for quality, innovative spirit and commitment to Growing for Good. Headquartered in Deerfield, Illinois, Beam Suntory is a subsidiary of Suntory Holdings Limited of Japan. For more information on Beam Suntory, its brands, and its commitment to social responsibility, please visit www.beamsuntory.com and www.drinksmart.com.
Sauza® Tequila, 40% alc./vol. ©2015 Sauza Tequila Import Company, Deerfield, IL
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Sauza Tequila