CHICAGO, Feb. 4, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- CME Group, the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, today reported its January 2020 market statistics, showing it reached average daily volume (ADV) of 18.9 million contracts during the month of January. Open interest at the end of January was 123 million contracts. Market statistics are available online in greater detail at https://cmegroupinc.gcs-web.com/monthly-volume.
January ADV across asset classes include:
- Interest Rate ADV of 8.9 million contracts per day
- Equity Index ADV of 4.3 million contracts per day
- Energy ADV of 2.8 million contracts per day
- Agricultural ADV of 1.3 million contracts per day
- Metals ADV of 839,000 contracts per day
- Foreign Exchange ADV of 770,000 contracts per day
Additional January product highlights include:
- Overall ADV grew 6% from January 2019
- Metals ADV increased 49% from January 2019
- Record Gold futures ADV of 468,000 contracts
- Metals options ADV grew 63%
- Equity Index ADV grew 31% from January 2019, including 12% growth in E-mini S&P 500 futures and options and 11% growth in Equity Index options ADV
- Energy ADV rose 14% from January 2019
- Record Heating Oil futures ADV of 269,000 contracts
- Energy options ADV grew 19%
- Crude Oil futures and options ADV grew 7%
- Agricultural ADV grew 16% compared to January 2019, including 21% growth in Agricultural options and 18% growth in Grain and Oilseeds futures and options ADV
- Electronic Options ADV grew 16% from January 2019
As the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) enables clients to trade futures, options, cash and OTC markets, optimize portfolios, and analyze data – empowering market participants worldwide to efficiently manage risk and capture opportunities. CME Group exchanges offer the widest range of global benchmark products across all major asset classes based on interest rates, equity indexes, foreign exchange, energy, agricultural products and metals. The company offers futures and options on futures trading through the CME Globex® platform, fixed income trading via BrokerTec and foreign exchange trading on the EBS platform. In addition, it operates one of the world's leading central counterparty clearing providers, CME Clearing. With a range of pre- and post-trade products and services underpinning the entire lifecycle of a trade, CME Group also offers optimization and reconciliation services through TriOptima, and trade processing services through Traiana.
CME Group, the Globe logo, CME, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Globex, and, E-mini are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. CBOT and Chicago Board of Trade are trademarks of Board of Trade of the City of Chicago, Inc. NYMEX, New York Mercantile Exchange and ClearPort are trademarks of New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc. BrokerTec, EBS, TriOptima, and Traiana are trademarks of BrokerTec Europe LTD, EBS Group LTD, TriOptima AB, and Traiana, Inc., respectively. Dow Jones, Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P 500 and S&P are service and/or trademarks of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC, Standard & Poor's Financial Services LLC and S&P/Dow Jones Indices LLC, as the case may be, and have been licensed for use by Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE CME Group