WASHINGTON, April 15, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In partnership with CNN, today the Newseum opened "CNN Politics Campaign 2016: Like, Share, Elect," a new interactive exhibit that tells the story of the 2016 presidential campaign in real time. The exhibit offers an immersive experience that allows visitors to explore the ways big data and social media have transformed how candidates campaign, how journalists cover elections and how the public participates in the political process. The exhibit will be on display through Jan. 22, 2017, the last day of inauguration weekend.
Along with CNN Politics, the Newseum partnered with Facebook, Instagram, Zignal Labs and Pivit on this innovative educational experience that connects visitors to the campaign trail in relevant, fun and interactive ways. Newseum visitors will be able to explore a variety of groundbreaking on-screen experiences and video presentations that will put them at the center of the campaign:
- CNN Facebook #CampaignConfessional: This interactive exhibit, a custom visual experience built and powered by FoxTales, gives Newseum visitors the opportunity to record and share a campaign message.
- CNN and Instagram Campaign Cinemagraphs: Exquisite moving photographs deliver an intimate look at the candidates running for president.
- CNN Candidate Matchmaker: An interactive kiosk allows visitors to identify the candidate who best matches their views on current issues.
- Zignal Labs Command Center: Campaigns change instantly based on real-time news events, and Zignal Labs Command Center displays up-to-the-second trending issues and events that influence campaigns and the journalists who cover them. At the Command Center, visitors can toggle between candidates and visualizations of how the candidates are being discussed in social, print and digital media.
- Pivit Political Prediction Markets: For what has been dubbed the "data election," CNN has partnered with Pivit to create a real-time political prediction market index to capture the public's opinion on the key question, "Who do you think will win?" Pivit has built the largest prediction marketplace for politics, with results constantly changing in real time, like a political stock exchange.
- CNN Magic Wall: At the touch of a screen, visitors can explore voter demographics in some of the key states and races at the heart of the campaign.
In addition, the American Association of University Women is sponsoring a space just outside the gallery where visitors can find out how to register to vote.
"Today, there is great excitement, anxiety and confusion — often all at the same time — about the technological disruption of the media, what it means for an informed citizenry and how these new tools affect presidential elections," said Jeffrey Herbst, president and CEO of the Newseum. "The exhibit will encourage visitors to engage in the democratic process by providing them access to new forms of information and big data perspectives throughout the 2016 election."
Gallery guides and lesson plans are available at NewseumED.org to help learners of all ages gain a better understanding of presidential history, media literacy and the democratic process.
About the Newseum
The Newseum is dedicated to free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment: religion, speech, press, assembly and petition. Headquartered on historic Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C., the Newseum's compelling, dynamic and engaging exhibits, programs and education initiatives help ensure that these fundamental freedoms remain strong and protected both today and for future generations. The Newseum Institute promotes the study, exploration and education of the challenges confronting freedom through its First Amendment Center and the Religious Freedom Center. The Newseum is a 501(c)(3) public charity funded by generous individuals, corporations and foundations, including the Freedom Forum. For more information, visit newseum.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cnn-politics-campaign-2016-like-share-elect-opens-today-at-the-newseum-300251923.html