17 Aug, 2020, 09:10 ET
SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 17, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- App Annie, the leader in mobile data and analytics, today released its latest report which shows that consumers spent 1.6 trillion hours on their mobile devices in the first half of 2020. From gaming to shopping to payments to video conferencing, mobile has taken center stage in consumers' lives — ingraining new app habits and permanently shifting the consumer landscape to a mobile-first world.
Key findings from the report include:
- Consumer spend on mobile rose to $50B H1 2020 — marking the biggest H1 yet for iOS and Google Play
- Downloads of mobile apps and games topped 64B in H1 2020 across iOS and Google Play worldwide
- The average user spent 27% of daily waking hours, or 4.3 hours, on their mobile device in April 2020 — up 20% from 2019
- Four of the five top Business apps by time spent in Q2 2020 globally (excluding China) were video conferencing apps, including: #1 ZOOM Cloud Meetings, #2 Microsoft Teams, #3 Google Meet and #5 Cisco Webex Meetings
- Globally, consumers spent 25% more time streaming their favorite shows and movies in Q2 2020 than Q4 2019
- Social apps blurred the lines with streaming providers — the percentage of Netflix's iPhone users also using TikTok grew from 15% to 45% in Q2 2020 YoY
- M-commerce boomed in H1 2020, surpassing 2019 holiday shopping levels — propelling the mobile shopping industry forward by years
- Despite macroeconomic headwinds, fintech companies like Paypal reported their best quarters ever driven by mobile use and feature prioritization
- Mobile ad placements grew 70% during the pandemic driven by interstitial ads. Despite a reduction in marketing budgets, mobile's unparalleled reach and engagement is still luring strong growth in mobile advertising
"COVID-19 propelled mobile usage forward — achieving growth that would have otherwise taken 2 to 3 years. As we head into the holiday season and 2021, businesses who prioritize mobile will outpace competitors, as mobile represents a significant driver of revenue growth for businesses." — Lexi Sydow, Sr Market Insights Manager, App Annie
For the full report, please click here.
About App Annie
App Annie is the industry's most trusted mobile data and analytics platform. App Annie's mission is to help customers create winning mobile experiences and achieve excellence.
SOURCE App Annie
Share this article