CRANBURY, N.J., Feb. 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Cornerstone Pharmaceuticals, Inc. today announced a number of additions to its Scientific and Medical Advisory Boards, continuing the company's recent momentum of growth in its management team and governing and advisory bodies. Members of Cornerstone's Scientific and Medical Advisory Boards are highly regarded researchers and physicians within the fields of oncology, hematology and lymphoma. They will help strengthen Cornerstone's drug development and commercialization capabilities at a pivotal time in the company's lifecycle, and provide guidance on the company's clinical trial strategy.
"Innovation in oncology drug development requires a multidisciplinary team comprised of experts in the scientific and medical fields. We have assembled unparalleled boards of scientific and medical advisors who will work with Cornerstone to help revolutionize anticancer treatment among our prime treatment targets: pancreatic cancer, acute myeloid leukemia and lymphoma," said Howard Jonas, Chairman of the Board of Cornerstone. "The combination of skills among the world-renowned cell biologists, oncology researchers and clinical oncologists on the advisory boards will further enhance Cornerstone's ability to develop and advance our cutting-edge R&D pipeline."
Chi Van Dang, M.D., Ph.D., the incoming Chair of the Scientific and Medical Advisory Boards said, "The addition of such highly regarded and experienced scientific and medical advisors, better positions Cornerstone as an incoming leader in the growing field of metabolic cancer therapy. I am excited to have the opportunity to work alongside such uniquely qualified colleagues."
Chair of the Scientific and Medical Advisory Boards
Chi Van Dang, M.D., Ph.D.: Director of the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania until July 1, 2017, when he will become Scientific Director of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research. Dr. Dang is considered by many to be the world's leading authority on cancer metabolism. Dr. Dang is also serving on Cornerstone's Board of Directors.
Scientific Advisory Board
- Dafna Bar-Sagi, Ph.D.: Senior Vice President, Vice Dean for Science, Chief Scientific Officer, Professor, Departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, and Medicine, NYU Langone Medical Center
- Navdeep S. Chandel, Ph.D.: David W. Cugell Professor of Medicine and Cell Biology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine; Author of "Navigating Metabolism" (Cold Spring Harbor Press)
- Alec Kimmelman, M.D., Ph.D.: Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Chair, Department of Radiation Oncology, NYU Langone Medical Center
- Gregg Semenza, M.D., Ph.D.: Director, Vascular Program, Institute for Cell Engineering; Professor of Pediatrics, Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences, Biological Chemistry, Medicine, and Oncology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. 2016 Lasker Award recipient
Medical Advisory Board
Pancreatic Cancer Advisors
- Jordan D. Berlin, M.D.: Co-leader, Gastrointestinal Cancer Research Program, Professor of Medicine (Hematology/Oncology), Director, Phase I Program, Medical Oncologist, Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
- J. Randolph Hecht, M.D.: Director, Gastrointestinal Cancer Program, Professor of Clinical Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- William Isacoff, M.D.: Department of Medicine, David Geffen-UCLA School of Medicine; Board of Directors of the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Foundation
- Philip A. Philip, M.D., Ph.D., F.R.C.P.: Professor of Oncology and Pharmacology, Leader, GI and Neuroendocrine Oncology, Vice President of Medical Affairs, Karmanos Cancer Center, Wayne State University
- Heloisa P. Soares, M.D., Ph.D.: Medical Oncologist, Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology, Moffitt Cancer Center
Acute Myeloid Leukemia Advisors
- Jorge Cortes, M.D.: Deputy Chair and Professor of Medicine in the Department of Leukemia at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Bayard L. Powell, M.D.: Section Chief, Hematology & Oncology, Associate Director for Clinical Research, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Professor, Hematology & Oncology, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
- Mikkael Sekeres, M.D.: Director, Leukemia Program, Vice-chair for Clinical Research, Cleveland Clinic's Taussig Cancer Institute
- Richard M. Stone, M.D.: Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School; Associate Physician, Medicine, Brigham And Women's Hospital; Director, Adult Leukemia Program, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Craig H. Moskowitz, M.D.: Hematologist, Clinical Director of the Division of Hematologic Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Steven I. Park, M.D.: Director, Lymphoma Program, Associate Professor of Medicine, UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
About Cornerstone Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Cornerstone Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a clinical-stage, oncology-focused pharmaceutical company committed to the development and commercialization of therapies that exploit the metabolic differences between normal cells and cancer cells. Cornerstone's primary objective is to develop highly selective and effective agents with minimal toxic effects on normal cells and tissues. Cornerstone's first-in-class clinical lead compound, CPI-613 is being evaluated in multiple Phase I, I/II, and II clinical studies. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has designated CPI-613 an orphan drug for the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia (AML), pancreatic cancer and myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS). The company's investors include IDT Corporation (NYSE: IDT). For more information, visit: www.cornerstonepharma.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements. These statements relate to future events or the company's future financial performance. In some cases, you can identify forward-looking statements by terminology such as "may", "will", "should", "expect", "plan", "anticipate", "believe", "estimate", "predict", "potential" or "continue", the negative of such terms, or other comparable terminology. These statements are only predictions. Actual events or results may differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors. Although we believe that the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are reasonable, such statements should not be regarded as a representation by the company, or any other person, that such forward looking statements will be achieved. The business and operations of the company are subject to substantial risks which increase the uncertainty inherent in forward-looking statements. We undertake no duty to update any of the forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. In light of the foregoing, readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements.
SOURCE Cornerstone Pharmaceuticals, Inc.