WASHINGTON, April 9, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- LUNGevity Foundation, the nation's largest lung cancer-focused organization, is pleased to announce the addition of Dennis Bookshester to its Board of Directors.
Dennis Bookshester, an accomplished businessman who has held prestigious leadership positions in the retail industry, including President and CEO of Fruit of the Loom, President and CEO of Zale Corporation, and Vice Chairman of Carson Pirie Scott & Company, joins LUNGevity to help broaden its reach and impact. Dennis has also advised many leading companies, such as Playboy Enterprises and The Turtle Wax, Inc. as a member of the board and trustee, and has shared his knowledge with other nonprofits, including The United Way, the Chicago Chamber of Commerce, and United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Chicago. Dennis, currently an independent investor and consultant, was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2013 and is a strong proponent for the early detection of the disease.
"We are extremely honored that Dennis agreed to serve on our board," said Andrea Stern Ferris, president and chairman of LUNGevity Foundation. "His outstanding record of corporate leadership in the retail industry will bring a unique, strategic perspective to the Foundation. We are excited to build on our strengths and plan for the future with Dennis' guidance."
For more information about LUNGevity Foundation, please visit www.LUNGevity.org.
About Lung Cancer
- 1 in 15 Americans will be diagnosed with lung cancer in their lifetime
- More than 221,000 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with lung cancer this year
- About 60%-65% of all new lung cancer diagnoses are among people who have never smoked or are former smokers
- Lung cancer takes more lives than the next three cancers (colorectal, breast, and prostate) combined
- Only 17% of all people diagnosed with lung cancer will survive 5 years or more, BUT if it's caught before it spreads, the chance for 5-year survival improves dramatically
About LUNGevity Foundation
LUNGevity Foundation is firmly committed to making an immediate impact on increasing quality of life and survivorship of people with lung cancer by accelerating research into early detection and more effective treatments, as well as by providing community, support, and education for all those affected by the disease. Our vision is a world where no one dies of lung cancer. For more information about LUNGevity Foundation, please visit www.LUNGevity.org.
SOURCE LUNGevity Foundation