LOS ANGELES, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- StudyMode, an ed-tech company dedicated to helping students succeed in school, today launched a new arcade-style online game, Stellar Speller. An extension of StudyMode's flashcard site Cram.com, Stellar Speller is a free, entertaining way to learn languages, spelling, vocabulary and other topics. Players can work from any of the 75 million flashcards already created on Cram.com, or create their own unique sets.
"We all learn better when we're having fun, so we created Cram.com's Stellar Speller to put an exciting, fast-paced twist on flashcards," said Blaine Vess, Co-founder and CEO of StudyMode. "We understand that time is of the essence for students and we are here to make studying easier and less stressful. Stellar Speller is a ton of fun to play, and since it's available across devices, you can fit in a quick study session no matter where you are."
Stellar Speller puts a new spin on flashcards with rapid-fire gameplay that puts each user in control of a spaceship. Players shoot enemy ships to spell out the answer while avoiding incoming asteroids, but watch out—if the wrong ship is attacked, it will shoot back.
- Choose Your Subject: Players can challenge themselves to a variety of different topics including vocabulary, state capitals, spelling and more
- Flip Your Cards: Start by spelling out answers, then spice things up by flipping your cards and spelling out the questions
- Leaderboards: Compete against other learners with a leaderboard to track high scores; a great way to challenge an entire class to study a standard set of information
- Share via Social Media: Share your high scores via Facebook, Twitter and Google+
- Easy to Play: Visit Cram.com, select a set of flashcards or create your own set, then just click the "Games" tab to launch your game
Stellar Speller is Cram.com's second game, following Jewels of Wisdom which launched in November. It is available now, completely free, at Cram.com.
To experience Stellar Speller first-hand, click here to play a sample set.
Cram.com, a part of the StudyMode network of online tools and apps, is a free online resource for parents, students and teachers to create, study and share flashcards. Free apps are available for Android and iOS. Cram.com also features options to generate competitive games from a user's study material. Cram.com hosts more than 75 million flashcards and supports more than 1 million members.
StudyMode provides a network of practical online learning tools and apps to help students succeed. The flagship site, StudyMode.com, allows students to share and review study materials such as research documents, book notes and AP notes. Other sites in the network include Cram.com, where students can create, share and study flashcards. Founded in 1999, StudyMode's international network features more than 15 properties and reaches 90 million visitors per month.