DENVER, Dec. 19, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- DaVita Kidney Care, a division of DaVita Inc. (NYSE: DVA), a leading provider in kidney care services, celebrates the estimated 44 million care partners who care for friends, family members or others this holiday season. Care partners are friends or loved ones who help with treatment.
There are over 700,000 Americans with end stage renal disease (ESRD), many who require support with their kidney care. Being a care partner for someone with chronic kidney disease (CKD) can be a difficult and time-consuming responsibility.
DaVita has a few tips to share for care partners:
- Live a healthy lifestyle – With your intense focus on the care of a loved one, remember your own health as well. Good nutrition, exercise and rest may help you better cope with the demands of caregiving.
- Take time for yourself – The role of care partner takes a lot of time. It's important to squeeze in activities just for you: going for a walk, reading a book, coffee with a friend, etc.
- Be open and real – Acknowledge and discuss the difficult aspects of your role with your loved one, your loved one's doctor, a social worker, a friend or a clergy member.
- Have a support team – A support system can give you a boost in meeting the challenges of being a care partner and make you feel less alone in your role. Reach out to family and friends for their support, and/or join a support group specifically for care partners.
- Consider care-sharing – Consider training a family member or friend to join you as a care partner for your loved one. Hiring a part-time caregiver may be another option for sharing the responsibility.
- Look into respite care – Respite care provides a temporary stay for your loved one at a senior community, assisted-living facility or the like. Whether it's for a few hours while you run errands, during a vacation or just for a much-needed break, respite care can be beneficial to both you and your loved one.
For more information or additional resources for care partner, please visit www.davita.com.
About DaVita Kidney Care
DaVita Kidney Care is a division of DaVita Inc., a Fortune 500® company, that through its operating divisions provides a variety of health care services to patient populations throughout the United States and abroad. A leading provider of dialysis services in the United States, DaVita Kidney Care treats patients with chronic kidney failure and end-stage renal disease. DaVita Kidney Care strives to improve patients' quality of life by innovating clinical care, and by offering integrated treatment plans, personalized care teams and convenient health-management services. As of September 30, 2017, DaVita Kidney Care operated or provided administrative services at 2,470 outpatient dialysis centers located in the United States serving approximately 196,000 patients. The company also operated 230 outpatient dialysis centers located in 11 countries outside the United States. DaVita Kidney Care supports numerous programs dedicated to creating positive, sustainable change in communities around the world. The company's leadership development initiatives and social responsibility efforts have been recognized by Fortune, Modern Healthcare, Newsweek and WorldBlu. For more information, please visit DaVita.com.
SOURCE DaVita Kidney Care