OXNARD, Calif., April 12, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- DEKRA Insight, a global leader in safety at work, released insider knowledge from years of workplace safety assessments.
Safety Assessments are the first step in improving safety culture by identifying gaps in safety and exposures. Lessons include:
- Communicate clearly about safety — across the organization - DEKRA consultant Rob Hoyle was helping a utility company assess performance when he noticed something strange. Linemen paid more attention to a company policy on placement of orange cones around trucks than on policies affecting personal safety. Read the story.
- Involve the right stakeholders in safety decisions - Structure matters to safety because it connects the stated goals to execution. DEKRA consultant Bill Bozzo was working with a drilling operator when he ran into issues around governance. "We usually set up safety leadership teams to oversee the implementation. But no one at this company liked it." Earlier safety programs had been corporate run, giving the perception as something "top-down". Get more examples.
- Cultivate a network of safety information -- The problem isn't that companies don't have enough to measure, it's knowing how to process various indicators they do have. The result, says Bozzo, is serious events can appear to "sneak up". "You often hear leaders asking, 'How did that happen? There was no precursor.' What isn't recognized is severe events are reflective."
- Make safety a value, not just a priority – Safety improvement is about reducing exposure all the way up and down organizations. This means that for consistent improvement, safety can't be just a "priority" that can be upset by the next urgent business need. Safety must truly be a value.
More in a new eBook, "The Leader's Guide to Safety Improvement: Four Lessons from Safety Assessments":
- DEKRA Insight consultant interviews
- First-hand accounts of common assessment gaps
- How to overcome challenges
About DEKRA Insight
As the global leader in safety at work, DEKRA Insight is a consultant and partner to many of the world's largest chemical, oil and gas, transportation, utilities, pharmaceutical, and agriculture companies. With a passionate, scientific approach to transforming safety, our clients mitigate risk to their employees, assets, and reputation in a quantifiable manner—and in the process, enhance business performance.
DEKRA Insight is a service unit of DEKRA S.E., a global leader in safety since 1925 with over 35,000 employees.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dekra-insight-publishes-insider-lessons-from-safety-assessments-300438078.html
SOURCE DEKRA Insight