ATLANTA, Nov. 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- In celebration of #GivingTuesday, Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) is donating $1.5 million to select nonprofit organizations who align with Delta's focus on advancing education, expanding global health and wellness, promoting arts and culture, saluting armed service members and veterans, supporting global diversity and sustaining the environment.
The contribution is part of Delta's commitment to donate 1 percent of its net income from the previous year to key charitable organizations. In 2016, Delta is projected to give $37 million to charitable organizations.
The six organizations selected, who will each receive $250,000, include:
- Feeding America® – As the leading domestic hunger-relief organization, Feeding America's mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
- Junior Achievement USA – Junior Achievement's volunteer-delivered, K-12 grade programs foster work readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy skills, and use experiential learning to inspire students to dream big and reach their potential.
- The Nature Conservancy – The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, they create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world's toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together.
- UNCF – UNCF (United Negro College Fund) is the nation's largest and most effective minority education organization. To serve youth, the community and the nation, UNCF supports students' education and development through scholarships and other programs, strengthens its 37 member colleges and universities, and advocates for the importance of minority education and college readiness.
- USO – Celebrating 75 years of service as a military support organization, the USO continues to serve as a Force Behind The Forces dedicated to strengthening America's military by keeping them connected to family, home and country throughout their service to the nation.
- YMCA – The YMCA strengthens communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility and is an association of volunteers, members and staff, open to and serving all, with programs and services which build spirit, mind and body.
"Giving Tuesday serves as a great reminder for all of us to help those in need during the holiday season," said Tad Hutcheson, Delta's Managing Director – Community Affairs. "At Delta, giving back is part of our DNA and we are committed to supporting the communities where our employees live, work and serve."
Now in its fifth year, #GivingTuesday is a global movement to give back to others. Observed on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, Giving Tuesday follows Black Friday and Cyber Monday to kick off the charitable season.
Delta Air Lines serves nearly 180 million customers each year. In 2016, Delta was named to Fortune's top 50 Most Admired Companies in addition to being named the most admired airline for the fifth time in six years. Additionally, Delta has ranked No.1 in the Business Travel News Annual Airline survey for an unprecedented five consecutive years. With an industry-leading global network, Delta and the Delta Connection carriers offer service to 312 destinations in 54 countries on six continents. Headquartered in Atlanta, Delta employs more than 80,000 employees worldwide and operates a mainline fleet of more than 800 aircraft. The airline is a founding member of the SkyTeam global alliance and participates in the industry's leading transatlantic joint venture with Air France-KLM and Alitalia as well as a joint venture with Virgin Atlantic. Including its worldwide alliance partners, Delta offers customers more than 15,000 daily flights, with key hubs and markets including Amsterdam, Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK and LaGuardia, London-Heathrow, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City, Seattle and Tokyo-Narita. Delta has invested billions of dollars in airport facilities, global products and services, and technology to enhance the customer experience in the air and on the ground. Additional information is available on the Delta News Hub, as well as delta.com, Twitter @DeltaNewsHub, Google.com/+Delta, and Facebook.com/delta.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/delta-to-donate-15-million-in-celebration-of-givingtuesday-300368885.html
SOURCE Delta Air Lines