WOODBRIDGE, Ontario, Aug. 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Royal® Building Products, a leading manufacturer of home exterior products, released findings today from its Outdoor Design Survey about the attitudes of homeowners in the U.S. when it comes to things like exterior maintenance and renovation, design inspiration, curb appeal and home improvement. Whether they plan to live in their house for years to come or sell it in months, the survey reveals that homeowners believe having an attractive property is important, and they are not afraid to step in and design it themselves. The survey was conducted by Kelton Global and gathered information from 949 U.S. homeowners ages 18 and older.
"Today's homeowners are more empowered than ever to be a part of the decision-making process when it comes to the exterior design of their homes," said Marilyn Chase, director of marketing at Royal Building Products. "We commissioned this survey, and plan to do so annually, as part of our approach to fully understanding what homeowners care about and what drives their decisions when it comes to building and renovation."
Key findings from the survey include:
Design It Yourself
- Many respondents want a say in the material on the exterior of their home (53 percent) as well as the specific products being used (45 percent).
- Using an online tool that instantly allows homeowners to virtually see how their home might look with various colors or accents would give a majority more confidence in their decisions when selecting products (60 percent) or communicating the look they want to professionals (52 percent).
- The majority of respondents said structural pains, such as rotting or cracking (57 percent) and damage from moisture (54 percent) or wind (43 percent) were top concerns.
- Thirty-nine percent worry that the products on the exterior of their home are not energy efficient, and 30 percent are concerned that these products are unfriendly to the environment.
- Others fret about the color fading (53 percent) or the design or style looking outdated (31 percent).
Return on Investment
- Structural worries may lead 63 percent of homeowners to believe that making upgrades to a home's exterior is a wise investment.
- Nearly 65 percent of respondents said it's very important that a renovation to the exterior of their home adds value.
- Many homeowners say that if they were to make improvements to the exterior of their home, it would be very important that the products are aesthetically appealing (54 percent) and that the results enhance curb appeal (49 percent) and complement other homes in the neighborhood (32 percent).
- Close to 71 percent don't think colors on the outside of a home should complement those on the inside.
Stress-free Work Zone
- Seventy percent of homeowners do not think home improvement projects are stressful. In fact, more than 82 percent would not feel overwhelmed by the options if they were to upgrade the exterior of their home.
- Fifty-six percent think home improvement projects are a great way to express personality.
About the survey: The Royal Building Products Outdoor Design Survey was conducted by Kelton Global from May 7 through May 18, 2015, among 949 Americans ages 18 and older who own a home. Click here to view the full survey results and here to see an infographic featuring highlights from the survey.
About Royal Building Products
Royal Building Products is a division of Axiall Corporation (NYSE: AXLL). The company manufactures and distributes leading materials for the home remodeling, building and municipal construction markets. For more than 40 years, the company's commitment to quality, innovation and customer relationships has attracted the loyalty of a growing number of building professionals, homeowners, architects, engineers and distributors to its products. With operations throughout North America, Royal Building Products offers the renovation, remodeling and new construction industries a broad range of innovative products including siding, trim, accessories, soffit, rain ware, mouldings, deck, window profiles and patio doors. Royal Building Products also manufactures pipe and fittings for the electrical, municipal, irrigation, plumbing and industrial construction industries. For more information, please visit www.royalbuildingproducts.com. Follow us on Twitter and "Like" us on Facebook.
SOURCE Royal Building Products