SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., May 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Discount Tire, the world's largest tire and wheel retailer, and the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), continue their relationship for National Tire Safety Week June 2-8. The nationwide effort is designed to educate motorists about the four essential areas of tire maintenance including Pressure, Alignment, Rotation and Tread.
Improper tire care contributes to 11,000 injuries and about 200 fatalities each year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Additionally, motorists driving their vehicles with under-inflated tires waste 1.2 billion gallons of fuel in the U.S. each year.
As part of its relationship with the RMA, Discount Tire assists motorists by providing free tire safety inspections at more than 850 stores throughout the U.S. to encourage drivers to adopt proper tire maintenance habits. These inspections are performed by a trained tire technician and take about five minutes.
Discount Tire also lends the support of its No. 22 NASCAR team featuring champion driver Brad Keselowski, Joey Logano and Ryan Blaney to the RMA. Keselowski, Logano and Blaney drive the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang with Penske Racing. Logano is featured in radio PSAs nationwide, which are part of the RMA's "Be Tire Smart" campaign to educate motorists about the importance of maintaining proper vehicle tire inflation pressure.
Maintaining tire inflation pressure is one of the most critical things motorists can do to improve their road safety and get the most from their tires. Improperly inflated tires lead to decreased steering and braking control as well as excessive tire wear and fuel consumption.
The RMA launched National Tire Safety Week in April 2002 as an initiative of its "Be Tire Smart – Play Your PART" program. PART stands for Pressure, Alignment, Rotation and Tread. Discount Tire has been involved in the initiative since its inception.
Tire Care Tips
- Get Pressure Right – Low tire pressure decreases fuel economy. Tires may lose up to 1 pound per square inch (PSI) per month. The specific inflation pressure number can be found on the vehicle placard located on the driver's side doorpost, glove box door, fuel door or in the owner's manual. For accurate pressure, check tires when cool and don't forget the spare. Custom tires and wheels may change standard air pressure requirements, so if you customize have a pro check them out before you go.
- Don't Overload Vehicle – Overloading decreases fuel economy due to increased wind drag and cargo weight. Handing, control and braking are also negatively impacted.
- Rotate Before You Go – Regular rotation helps achieve uniform tire wear and improve road performance. Tires rotated every 6,000 – 8,000 miles have longer life and help maximize your tire investment. It makes sense to get a tire inspection when you rotate.
- Straighten Up – Proper tire alignment provides safe, predictable vehicle control as well as a ride that is smooth, comfortable and free of pulling or vibration. Proper alignment helps tires wear evenly and last longer.
- Bald Isn't Beautiful – Lack of tread affects the tire's ability to grip the road. Make sure tires don't have uneven wear, high or low areas or unusually smooth areas that can increase the risk of road accidents.
About Discount Tire/America's Tire
Discount Tire/America's Tire, based in Scottsdale, Arizona, is the world's largest tire and wheel retailer. The company does business under the trade name Discount Tire in most of the U.S. and America's Tire in Oregon, and parts of Washington and California. The company currently operates more than 850 stores across the country. In 2010, the company marked its 50th year serving customers as their trusted tire retailer in local markets across the U.S. Discount Tire/America's Tire also sponsors NASCAR Nationwide Series and Monster Energy AMA Supercross. For more information about Discount Tire/America's Tire visit discounttire.com or americastire.com.
SOURCE Discount Tire