PHOENIX, Nov. 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Demographics in the Valley of the Sun are rapidly changing, and nowhere is this more true than in Phoenix, the capital of one of the fastest-growing states in the country. With a population five years younger than the national average, Phoenix residents are embracing the city's increasing diversity – which three-quarters (74 percent) say is a boon to the local economy.
This is according to a new poll released today by The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) as part of The Renewal Project, which found that job opportunities (34 percent), a low cost of living (28 percent) and prestigious universities (12 percent) are among the city's biggest draws. But the main reason people are flocking to Phoenix in droves is the unbeatable weather (43 percent) and all that comes with it.
With more than three-quarters (77 percent) saying they would encourage friends or family to move to the area, it's no surprise more than half (53 percent) of residents relocated to the area as adults. And once they arrive, they don't want to leave – whether it's raising a family (71 percent), building a career (74 percent) or living out retirement (77 percent), nearly everyone agrees that Phoenix is the place to be.
"Embracing new ideas, opportunities and innovation is exactly what the spirit of renewal is all about, and Phoenix is leading that charge," said Melinda Wilson, Corporate Relations, Allstate. "This city is showing everyone, here and around the country, what can be accomplished when people of all ages and backgrounds rally together to help each other live a good life every day and make their community better."
Despite the large number of transplants, there's no shortage of local pride.
- Diverse (53 percent), entrepreneurial (28 percent) and innovative (26 percent) are the three words Phoenix residents say best describe their city.
- Residents are proud of the prestigious institutions in the area, with four-in-five ranking Arizona State University (81 percent) and the Phoenix Biomedical Campus (79 percent) as reasons to live in Phoenix.
- The robust local sports scene is something for those in Phoenix to brag about, with residents pointing to the Cactus League (81 percent) and the fact that all four major sports leagues are within driving distance (76 percent) as major highlights.
- The gorgeous landscape and beautiful weather are well-known perks of living in Phoenix, with two-thirds (66 percent) of adults saying they experience nature by hiking through their favorite locales: Desert Botanical Garden (28 percent), South Mountain Park (13 percent), Lake Pleasant Regional Park (12 percent), Echo Canyon Recreation Area and Camelback Mountain (11 percent) and Hole-in-the-Rock at Papago Park (9 percent).
- Besides hiking, favorite outdoor activities include biking (23 percent) and water sports (22 percent).
Nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of Phoenix residents believe their voices are heard and that their ideas, hard work and determination are valued.
- Phoenix has multiple active social media channels to engage with residents, with almost half (45 percent) of Phoenix residents saying they are effective.
- One-in-three residents (33 percent) believe local institutions respond to challenges and opportunities with new and forward-thinking ideas and solutions, but roughly two-thirds believe their solutions are either adequate but unremarkable (39 percent) or old and outdated (23 percent).
- Half (50 percent) of residents believe Phoenix should adopt and modify ideas that have been tested in other cities with successful results.
The new Allstate Renewal Project Poll captures the views of a Phoenix metro area population largely split down generational lines: Millennials (29 percent), Generation X (25 percent) and Baby Boomers (27 percent). The Silent and Greatest Generation combine to make up the remaining 10 percent.
The poll took an in-depth look at the experiences of Phoenix residents living in and around the city, seeking perceptions of the economy, innovation, renewal and future outlook. The Allstate Renewal Project Poll is a component of The Renewal Project, a social-first website and newsroom launched by Allstate and Atlantic Media Strategies that celebrates those committed to social good and civic innovation in America. Learn more at www.therenewalproject.com or find The Renewal Project on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
To see in-depth poll data from the Allstate Renewal Project Poll, please visit http://www.therenewalproject.com/# .
The Allstate Renewal Project Poll investigates the views of Phoenix metro area residents. The poll was conducted by FTI Consulting from October 28-November 1, 2016. The survey included a sample of 400 adults age 18+ living in the greater Phoenix area, 200 reached via cell phone and 200 reached via landline phone. The margin of error for a sample of 400 is +/- 4.9 in 95 out of 100 cases.
About Allstate Corporation
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation's largest publicly held personal lines insurer, protecting approximately 16 million households from life's uncertainties through auto, home, life and other insurance offered through its Allstate, Esurance, Encompass and Answer Financial brand names. Allstate is widely known through the slogan "You're In Good Hands With Allstate®." The Allstate brand's network of small businesses offers auto, home, life and retirement products and services to customers in the United States and Canada. In the 20 years since Allstate became a fully independent public company, The Allstate Foundation, Allstate, its employees and agency owners have donated more than $405 million to support local communities.
About FTI Consulting
FTI Consulting, Inc. is a global business advisory firm dedicated to helping organizations protect and enhance enterprise value in an increasingly complex legal, regulatory and economic environment. With more than 4,600 employees located in 28 countries, FTI Consulting professionals work closely with clients to anticipate, illuminate and overcome complex business challenges in areas such as investigations, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory issues, reputation management, strategic communications and restructuring. The company generated $1.78 billion in revenues during fiscal year 2015. For more information, visit www.fticonsulting.com and connect with us on Twitter (@FTIConsulting), Facebook and LinkedIn.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/diversity-innovation-and-entrepreneurship-shifting-demographics-in-phoenix-establish-a-city-at-forefront-of-urban-renewal-300366097.html
SOURCE Allstate Insurance Company