Do you Have the Correct Home Insurance?

Jul 13, 2012, 04:00 ET from John Lewis Insurance

LONDON, July 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

According to research undertaken by Money Supermarket*, one in ten households does not have the correct Home Insurance policy in place.

With the drought increasing the chances of subsidence and the heavy rain threatening us with flooding, there's more cause than ever to make sure that your home is properly insured.

Research shows that 1.5 million homeowners have only taken out a Home Insurance policy that covers their contents, which is a huge and unnecessary risk.

If anything were to happen to their home, although they could replace most of their possessions, they could end up with nowhere to live as Contents Insurance does not include the building itself or any permanent fixtures and fittings.

A further 1.3 million homeowners had only Buildings Insurance, which wouldn't protect them against burglary and wouldn't cover their possessions if they were damaged in, for example a fire or a flood.

With so many Home Insurance providers offering joint policies for both Buildings and Contents Cover, you could save money with a combined policy that will protect your home and possessions from the unexpected.

Shockingly, a third of people in rented accommodation had no Home Insurance in place at all and a further 7% weren't sure if they had a policy or not.

Although if you're renting the Buildings Insurance will probably be covered by your landlord, it is important to have some form of Contents Insurance in place to protect your possessions.

If you're unsure about what the best form of Home Insurance is for you, speak to your current insurance provider.

How can John Lewis Home Insurance help?

Don't worry about not having the correct Home Insurance as a John Lewis policy provides your home with Unlimited Buildings and Contents Cover.**

We also offer optional Accidental Damage Cover, so if you attempt to do some DIY and it goes horribly wrong, or one of your dinner party guests drops red wine on your cream carpet, your home will be protected.

You also have the option of 24 hour Home Emergency service, so whatever time something unexpected happens, you will be able to get it sorted as soon as possible.


**There is no total sum insured limit but money, single article and total valuables limits apply.

Terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and acceptance criteria apply. A copy of the policy wording and insurance complaints procedure is available on request.

John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc.  Registered in England No. 00233462. Registered office 171 Victoria Street London SW1E 5NN. John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of AXA Insurance UK plc who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. AXA Insurance UK plc. Registered in England No. 78950. Registered office: 5 Old Broad Street, London, EC2N 1AD

Lauren Baldwin, Email:, Tel: +44(0)207-592-6677

SOURCE John Lewis Insurance