CLEVELAND, Jan. 23, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion Energy offers flexible winter bill payment options, energy assistance programs and energy-saving tips, to help ease financial stress for customers facing such economic disruptions as federal employee furloughs and plant closings and those on fixed incomes.
"No customer should have to be cold this winter because they can't afford to pay their heating bill," said Jim Eck, Dominion Energy vice president and general manager, Ohio & West Virginia Distribution. "We encourage those who may be facing financial hardship, including those impacted by the federal government shutdown, to learn more about special payment arrangements and take advantage of our energy assistance programs."
Dominion Energy offers a number of different options for customers who are experiencing high winter bills. Customers can make arrangements through their online account at www.dominionenergy.com or contact us at 1-800-362-7557. Contacting us early may provide more options. Some accommodations include:
- Budget Billing: a convenient option to avoid seasonal fluctuations in bills. The amount you pay on your Dominion Energy natural gas bill will be the same every month, making budgeting easier.
- Flexible payment plans: help spread payments out and make them more manageable.
- For more information on these and other payment plans and energy assistance programs, view: https://www.dominionenergy.com/community/energy-assistance.
EnergyShare is our energy assistance program available to qualified customers facing financial hardship. The program provides bill pay assistance when all other state and federal assistance programs have been exhausted. The Salvation Army administers EnergyShare in Ohio for Energy customers. For program and eligibility details or to apply, contact your local Salvation Army office.
"Customers can take small steps toward reducing their energy use to help keep bills low," Eck said. Small adjustments can make a big difference in your energy bills. Help reduce energy waste and save money by:
- Lowering your thermostat to 68 degrees. Learn more about your thermostat settings and energy savings by visiting the U.S. Department of Energy website.
- Sealing air leaks. Seal all holes from pipes and wires that enter/exit the living space, including entrances, pull-downs and attic stair openings, light fixtures, pipes and wires.
- Sealing duct work. Make sure that all duct work is sealed at joints and intersections with duct sealer or silicone caulk. Ducts can be sealed using foil-backed tape or silicon caulking.
- Changing your furnace filters monthly. This is the number one reason for furnace breakdowns. Inspect heating and cooling equipment annually, or as recommended by the manufacturer. Have a professional check and clean furnaces once a year.
- Weather-stripping doors, windows and attic entryways. Inspect windows and doors for air leaks. If you can see daylight around a door or window frame, then the door or window needs sealing. Air leaks can be sealed with caulking or weather-stripping. Insulate attic entryways.
More energy saving tips can be found here: https://www.dominionenergy.com/home-and-small-business/ways-to-save/energy-saving-tips .
Dominion Energy Ohio's Housewarming program offers free weatherization assistance to income-eligible customers. The program is administered by CHN Housing Partners (formerly Cleveland Housing Network) and provides free weather-stripping, attic and sidewall insulation, door sweeps and other energy efficiency improvements. Client education also is part of the program. Please contact CHN Housing Partners at 1-888-377-3774, or visit www.chnet.com .
HOME PERFORMANCE WITH ENERGY STAR
Dominion energy Ohio's Home Performance with Energy Star program is designed to help you improve your home's energy efficiency. A home assessment is conducted to evaluate how your home is using energy. The program is administered through CLEAResult and the customer may be eligible to receive rebates for recommended improvements. To be eligible, the customer must not be on Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP Plus) and/or be eligible for the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). Contact CLEAResult at 1-877-287-3416 or visit http://deohpwes.com .
About Dominion Energy: Nearly 7.5 million customers in 18 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va. The company is committed to sustainable, reliable, affordable and safe energy and is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy with about $100 billion of assets providing electric generation, transmission and distribution, as well as natural gas storage, transmission, distribution and import/export services. As one of the nation's leading solar operators, the company intends to reduce its carbon intensity 60 percent by 2030. Through its Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation, as well as EnergyShare and other programs, Dominion Energy contributed nearly $35 million in 2018 to community causes. Please visit www.DominionEnergy.com to learn more.
SOURCE Dominion Energy Ohio