SAN FRANCISCO and NEW YORK, Nov. 12, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Have you ever missed a package? There's an app for that. Doorman's app-scheduled, evening package delivery service is now live in New York, helping online shoppers bridge the gap between the shipping company and the last mile to your doorstep, ensuring your packages arrive precisely when you want them.
"Only a fortunate few New Yorkers have the luxury of a doorman to accept packages on their behalf while they're away at work, at the gym or on vacation, and that benefit comes at a steep price – condo owners in New York City pay 65 percent more per square foot in buildings that have a doorman," said Doorman founder and CEO Zander Adell. "Options for city-dwellers without a doorman can be daunting – wasting a day home waiting for a delivery, shipping items to the office and then schlepping them home on the subway, chasing rogue parcels around the city on a Saturday or even worse – coming home to a missing package or a dreaded door tag. In the city that never sleeps, people are used to getting what they want, when they want it, so why should package deliveries be any different?"
To solve this problem, Doorman officially launches today in Manhattan and Brooklyn. The delightful delivery app allows you to shop anywhere online using a personal Doorman shipping address and schedule deliveries for when you are actually home – anytime from 6 p.m. to midnight, seven days a week, same day or a month away, for just $3.99 per package or $19 per month for unlimited deliveries.
Getting a parcel delivered on time and right to your door tends to be more complicated than it should be, especially in urban areas like New York, where about 20 percent of deliveries fail on the first attempt. In certain neighborhoods, that number can be as high as 50 percent. As the holiday shopping season kicks into high gear on Black Friday, it's predicted that nearly half of all shopping will be done online this year. This increase will mean a record number of parcels left in apartment vestibules and on doorsteps, vulnerable to porch pirates – thieves out to swipe potentially expensive purchases.
Expecting a shipment of wine, furniture, monthly subscriptions, electronics, perishables or gifts from friends or family? Doorman's got you covered. Here are just a few reasons why Doorman is your must-have app this holiday season (and any time of year):
- Holiday vacay time. Many New Yorkers flee town during the holidays, but their packages keep on arriving. Why pause your subscriptions and gift deliveries when Doorman can safely store your packages and play Santa – dropping them off in a single, easy delivery upon your return.
- Returns. It's the thought that counts, right? With Doorman, you can easily return any unwanted holiday gifts.
- Subscription services make snacking simple. Subscription meal kits and deliverable groceries are all the rage, but what's not so appetizing is having food sit at your door all day or wine deliveries rerouted for lack of a signature. Doorman helps you make sure your delicious goods and libations will be at the ready for holiday entertaining.
- It's the most wonderful time of the year – for snooping. Keep your loved ones guessing and curb the temptation to peek by hiding all your holiday presents with Doorman instead of at your office or home. With deliveries available until midnight, you can have your stash delivered when the snoops are sleeping.
- Space-strapped? Have a long shopping list but limited room to store gifts? Doorman will hold your packages up to 30-days for free, giving New Yorkers the ultimate luxury — space.
"We believe that online shopping, from start to finish, should be a hassle-free experience, and we are excited to help make New Yorkers' online shopping experience even more delightful, year-round," said Adell.
Since Adell and co-founder and CTO, Kapil Israni, launched the company in 2013, Doorman has delightfully delivered more than 50,000 packages in San Francisco and Chicago from more than 3,000 unique national retailers, growing at a rate of 15.5 percent month-over-month. The company now expands its concierge service to New York City neighborhoods, including: SoHo, TriBeCa, the Lower East Side, Greenwich Village, East Village, Greenpoint and Williamsburg.
Don't have a doorman in your building? You can sign up for the Doorman app here and get your first package free. Want Doorman in your neighborhood? Let Doorman know you want a more delightful delivery experience here.
High-resolution images are available for download here.
Doorman has reimagined package delivery for online shoppers with an app-scheduled service that delivers packages until midnight, seven days a week. Backed by 500 Startups, Matrix Partners and Structure Capital, Doorman has proven to be an exceptional experience for consumers. The Doorman API for retailers lets them offer the scheduled delivery service to their customers at checkout, enabling them to compete with new last mile solutions from Amazon and others.