NEW YORK, April 27, 2011 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
- Elsevier Offers Special Discount for Ulbricht's Books Through May
- Natural Standard Offers Complimentary Access to Professional Database Through May 14
Elsevier (http://www.elsevier.com), the leading global publisher of scientific, technical, and medical information products and services, and Natural Standard (http://www.naturalstandard.com), the Authority on Integrative medicine, providing high-quality, evidence-based information about complementary and alternative therapies, announced that Dr. Catherine Ulbricht, Chief Editor of Natural Standard appeared on the Dr. Oz Show on Tuesday, April 26th.
On the episode "The Dr. Oz Show. Why your doctor is afraid of alternative health. Should you be?" experts investigated why some healthcare providers may be cautious of alternative medicine and discussed whether common therapies may be safe and effective.
"There is a lot written about alternative medicine, including herbs and supplements, and much of it is not evidence-based, which is one of the reasons some healthcare providers may be skeptical," said Dr. Ulbricht. "Often anecdotal tales of effectiveness are not supported by science. Our mission is to consolidate available data and apply a validated, reproducible research methodology to establish consensus on which therapies may be safe and effective."
"The Dr. Oz Show" is a multi-topic, multi-segment health and wellness talk show that offers topical, newsworthy information and inspiring stories in an upbeat and entertaining format featuring Dr. Oz's unique point of view. For information on the episode and topic go to http://www.doctoroz.com and search for alternative health topics.
Natural Standard offers access to http://www.naturalstandard.com until May 14, 2011 in an effort to foster open communications amongst healthcare providers and patients. Access will be granted by entering username: drozshow password: viewer.
Through the month of May, Elsevier is offering a 20% discount on Dr. Ulbricht's Natural Standard books:
- Natural Standard Herb & Supplement Guide ( http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/Health-Professions/Complementary-Medicine/bo ok/9780323072953/Natural-Standard-Herb-and-Supplement-Guide&dmnum=54406) - Covers 400 herbs and supplements including information on background, dosing, safety and interactions for each. An easy to understand A-F grading scale applied to each herb and supplement indicates the quality of the evidence and the effectiveness (per validated research) of each.
- Natural Standard Medical Conditions Reference: An Integrative Approach ( http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/Health-Professions/Complementary-Medicine/bo ok/9780323064057/Natural-Standard-Medical-Conditions-Reference&dmnum=54406) - Organized by medical condition, this book covers 120 topics from Alzheimer's to Ulcerative Colitis. For each, the author discusses conventional medical therapies, prescription and over the counter drug therapies, herbs, supplements, integrative modalities such as acupuncture, chiropractic and yoga, and diet, nutrition and exercise.
- Natural Standard Herbal Pharmacotherapy - ( http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/product.jsp?isbn=9780323051842&lid=EHS_US_BS -DIS-3&iid=dmnum=54406) This teaching text provides practical guidance on the use of herbal therapies for medical conditions in a real world setting. Safety and effectiveness is discussed as well as how to integrate natural products with primary treatments with appropriate monitoring parameters in place. Patient cases are included as well as supplemental training materials and videos posted on the corresponding Evolve website. (Due to the length of these URLs, it may be necessary to copy and paste the hyperlinks into your Internet browser's URL address field. Remove the space if one exists.)
About Natural Standard
Natural Standard (http://www.naturalstandard.com/) is an international research collaboration that provides high quality, evidence-based information on Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM). CAM is a multibillion dollar industry that encompasses dietary supplements, herbal medicines, functional foods, and diverse complementary practices or modalities. All reports produced by Natural Standard undergo multidisciplinary peer review prior to publication, and its database is widely used by health care providers and consumers to make safe and informed decisions in integrative medicine.
Elsevier is a world-leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical information products and services. The company works in partnership with the global science and health communities to publish more than 2,000 journals, including The Lancet (http://www.thelancet.com/) and Cell (http://www.cell.com/), and close to 20,000 book titles, including major reference works from Mosby and Saunders. Elsevier's online solutions include SciVerse ScienceDirect (http://www.sciencedirect.com/), SciVerse Scopus (http://www.scopus.com/), Reaxys (http://www.reaxys.com/), MD Consult (http://www.mdconsult.com/) and Nursing Consult ( http://www.nursingconsult.com/), which enhance the productivity of science and health professionals, and the SciVal suite (http://www.scival.com/) and MEDai's Pinpoint Review (http://www.medai.com/), which help research and health care institutions deliver better outcomes more cost-effectively.
A global business headquartered in Amsterdam, Elsevier (http://www.elsevier.com/) employs 7,000 people worldwide. The company is part of Reed Elsevier Group PLC (http://www.reedelsevier.com/), a world-leading publisher and information provider, which is jointly owned by Reed Elsevier PLC and Reed Elsevier NV. The ticker symbols are REN (Euronext Amsterdam), REL (London Stock Exchange), RUK and ENL (New York Stock Exchange).
Media Contact Tom Reller VP, Corporate Relations, Elsevier [email protected] +1-215-239-3508