BALTIMORE, Aug. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The dramatic increase in West Nile virus cases this summer has everyone talking about mosquito control. Some of the most effective ways to reduce mosquito populations involve taking simple actions that prevent mosquitoes from breeding.
"Mosquitoes can breed in as little as a tablespoon of standing water that remains for as little as one week," said Jonathan Cohen, mosquito control expert and president of Summit Responsible Solutions® (www.summitresponsiblesolutions.com), manufacturer of Mosquito Dunks®, the number-one selling biological mosquito control product. "The most effective measure to control mosquitoes is at the larval stage prior to their emergence as adults."
Because mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, Cohen advises homeowners to be vigilant in eliminating places where water can collect in their yards and gardens. To reduce mosquito populations:
- Drain water from garbage cans, house gutters, buckets, pool covers, coolers, flower pots or any other containers where water has collected.
- Remove and discard old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, broken appliances and other items left outdoors that can collect water.
- Empty and clean birdbaths and pet water bowls at least once or twice a week.
- Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that don't accumulate water.
- Maintain swimming pools in good condition with appropriate chlorination. Empty the water from children's swimming pools when not in use.
- Treat water that cannot be emptied -- such as ponds, fountains, drain lines, and ditches -- with Mosquito Dunks® and Mosquito Bits® that contain Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (B.t.i.).
The trend toward organic and less toxic ways to control mosquitoes has helped make Mosquito Dunks® and Mosquito Bits® the leading biological mosquito control products in the USA. The active ingredient in Mosquito Dunks® and Mosquito Bits® (B.t.i.) is a naturally occurring bacterium that kills mosquito larvae but is harmless to other living things. Mosquito Dunks® are safe for pets, wildlife and fish, and they are approved for organic use. One Mosquito Dunk® will treat up to 100 square feet of surface water for up to 30 days.
Mosquito Dunks® and Mosquito Bits® are available at garden centers everywhere. For more information, visit www.summitresponsiblesolutions.com.
Summit, Summit...responsible solutions, Mosquito Dunks, and Mosquito Bits are registered trademarks of Summit Chemical Company.
Media Contact: Randy Schultz, [email protected], (505) 822-8222
This press release was issued through eReleases® Press Release Distribution. For more information, visit http://www.ereleases.com.
SOURCE Summit Responsible Solutions