DETROIT, Nov. 2, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Across Michigan, 40 percent of households, or 1.5 million people, are struggling to afford basic needs - including energy. As the cold weather sets in, DTE Energy and The Heat and Warmth Fund continue their 30-year partnership by collaborating on the sixth annual Week or Warmth. The Week of Warmth, held Tuesday, Nov. 3 through Friday, Nov. 13, is a series of events focused on raising awareness and funds for our state's most vulnerable citizens.
"DTE and THAW work together throughout the year to assist customers who struggle to pay their energy bills," said Gerry Anderson, DTE chairman and chief executive officer. "The Week of Warmth brings our community together to keep families who need additional help safe and warm during our cold Michigan winters."
DTE Energy is the presenting sponsor of the Week of Warmth and Anderson is among the honorary chairs. Other honorary chairs include Governor Rick Snyder, state Senator Hoon-Yung Hopgood, Highland Park Mayor DeAndre Windom, Wayne County Commissioners Burton Leland and Tim Killeen and Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel.
"Since our inception in 1985, THAW has distributed more than $160 million in assistance to more than 223,000 Michigan households," said Saunteel Jenkins, CEO of THAW. "The support THAW receives from individuals and private funders allows us to extend our reach and keep even more families healthy, safe and warm."
The 2015 Week of Warmth includes:
- Warmth with Wings: A partnership with the Detroit Red Wings to raise awareness. Game attendees will receive a scarf (while supplies last), energy efficiency tips and information from THAW.
- Tuesday, Nov. 3, 6 p.m.
- Joe Louis Arena – Red Wings game
- Neighborhood Energy Efficiency Day: Residents in a north end Detroit neighborhood will receive free Home Energy Consultations, including the installation of energy- and water-saving products and also smoke detectors. Some customers will qualify to receive an ENERGY STAR® refrigerator and possibly a furnace test and tune-up. More than 100 volunteers, including DTE Energy and THAW employees, will distribute energy-efficiency materials to approximately 125 homes. DTE and THAW leaders will be available for media interviews.
- Saturday, Nov. 7, 8 a.m. - kickoff/media event
- Little Rock Baptist Church – 9000 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Hallelujah for Heat Gospel Concert & Awards Ceremony: A night of celebration and local musical entertainment to recognize energy assistance advocates who continue to support THAW. For ticket information, call 248.737.4444.or 313.980.3311 cell.
- Saturday, Nov. 7, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
- Fellowship Chapel – 7707 W. Outer Drive, Detroit
- Customer Assistance Days: Pre-qualified customers will be offered on-site distribution of assistance dollars. Registration is closed.
- Thursday, Nov. 5; Tuesday, Nov. 10; Wednesday, Nov. 11 and Friday, Nov.13
- Detroit, Muskegon and River Rouge
- THAW's Night of Warm Hearts fundraiser: Includes a VIP dinner, entertainment, live and silent auctions, and a 1980s themed gala in tribute to 1985, the year THAW was founded. Purchase tickets online or by calling 313-963-2681.
In addition to its focus on Week of Warmth programming, DTE offers numerous year-round payment assistance programs, including the company's Low Income Self-Sufficiency Plan and Shutoff Protection Plan. Visit dteenergy.com or call 1.800.477.4747 for more information.
NextEra Energy Resources is platinum sponsor and ITC Holding Corp., PVS Chemicals and Strategic Staffing Solutions are diamond sponsors of Week of Warmth. Barton Malow, Conway MacKenzie, Greek Town Casino-Hotel and Motor City Casino Hotel are gold sponsors.
About DTE Energy
DTE Energy (NYSE :DTE ) is a Detroit-based diversified energy company involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and services nationwide. Its operating units include an electric utility serving 2.1 million customers in Southeastern Michigan and a natural gas utility serving 1.2 million customers in Michigan. The DTE Energy portfolio includes non-utility energy businesses focused on power and industrial projects, natural gas pipelines, gathering and storage, and energy marketing and trading. As one of Michigan's leading corporate citizens, DTE Energy is a force for growth and prosperity in the 450 Michigan communities it serves in a variety of ways, including philanthropy, volunteerism and economic progress. For more information about DTE Energy, visit dteenergy.com twitter.com/dte_energy and facebook.com/dteenergy.
About The Heat and Warmth Fund
The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW) is a Detroit-based leading provider of utility assistance for Michigan residents in need. THAW is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) agency that provides low-income individuals and families throughout Michigan with emergency energy financial assistance. Since 1985, THAW has distributed more than $160 million in assistance to over 223,000 Michigan households.
SOURCE DTE Energy
You just read:
DTE Energy and THAW partner to raise and distribute $1M for Michigan Families during sixth annual Week of Warmth
Nov 02, 2015, 11:11 EST