ARLINGTON, Texas, April 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- White Russians for everyone! With the Lebowski Fest taking place this past weekend in New York City, GoBowling.com, the bowling industry's official website for consumer promotions and entertainment, teamed up with Strike Ten Entertainment to name "The Big Lebowski" as the number one bowling movie of all time. Though all strong contenders, "Kingpin," "Racing with the Moon," "The Flintstones," and "Grease 2" were, as Walter puts it, "out of their element," rounding out the top five.
The top five bowling movies according to GoBowling.com are:
1. "The Big Lebowski" (1998) – The Coen Brothers' flick has amassed a passionate fan following with its ensemble cast of bowling buddies Jeff Bridges, John Goodman and Steve Buscemi, providing iconic one-liners and popularizing White Russians and bowling leagues.
2. "Kingpin" (1996) – This close second featured memorable performances from Woody Harrelson and Randy Quaid, but it was Bill Murray as Ernie McCracken who stole the show with one of the most famous poses to appear in sports movies.
3. "Racing with the Moon" (1984) – An 80's cult classic that features two of the most popular celebrities of today – Sean Penn and Nicholas Cage – as two friends who work in a bowling alley.
4. "The Flintstones" (1994) – Fred and Barney paved the way as members of the first bowling league in this early 90's classic featuring a Stone-Aged John Goodman.
5. "Grease 2" (1982) – The bowling center served as the local hangout for Michael and Stephanie, and was also the birthplace of the classic hit, "We're Gonna Score Tonight," while also serving as one of Michelle Pfeiffer's first major motion pictures.
"With more than 71 million people taking to the lanes each year, making bowling the nation's #1 participatory sport, it's no wonder that bowling has carved out a niche within pop culture, particularly in the film industry," said Frank DeSocio, President of Strike Ten Entertainment. "Beginning with 'Racing with the Moon' and soaring to new heights with 'The Big Lebowski,' bowling is a favorite backdrop in some of the most popular movies from the past three decades. We wanted to celebrate and pay homage to the movies that continue to generate excitement for the sport of bowling."
Consumers are encouraged to weigh in with their opinion on the best bowling movie by logging on to the GoBowling.com Facebook page and leaving a comment. For more information on a bowling center near you visit www.gobowling.com.
About Strike Ten Entertainment
Headquartered in Arlington, Texas, Strike Ten Entertainment is the centralized sponsor-activation arm of the bowling industry. Strike Ten Entertainment serves all organizations of bowling by coordinating the industry's sales and marketing efforts. Strike Ten Entertainment's mission is to increase national awareness of bowling and to assist the bowling industry in developing new bowlers and increasing the frequency of existing bowlers each year through promotions, publicity and industry-wide marketing initiatives.
SOURCE Strike Ten Entertainment