SAN DIEGO, Dec. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Encore Capital Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: ECPG), an international specialty finance company, today announced it is providing $124,000 in scholarships to students at 43 community colleges across the country, as part of its new national program, the Encore Capital Group Scholarship Fund.
The program, Encore's largest philanthropic initiative to date, will provide 124 students with a $1,000 grant for tuition at select community colleges in 2015, in an effort to support students on their path to an advanced education degree.
"We are pleased to help students obtain an advanced degree," said Sheryl Wright, Sr. Vice President, Corporate and Government Affairs, Encore Capital Group. "For many, college is the path to economic empowerment, and given the escalating costs of higher education, our grant could mean the difference between a student getting his or her degree or having to give up on the dream."
Wright noted that the scholarship will support an average of one third of the cost of tuition and books per year. The grant is designed to be given to each student for two years, provided that the student remains in good academic standing.
Encore's global philanthropic program focuses on economic empowerment to help individuals take control of their financial futures through quality education, job training and basic support services. This is the company's second announcement this year in support of education. Encore previously became a national partner of the Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy, whose mission is to educate and prepare youth for life-long financial success through financial literacy education.
Scholarships for the 2014/2015 academic year are available at the colleges listed below. To be considered for a scholarship, students should apply directly with their community college's financial aid or scholarship department. Each college selects award recipients based on its own criteria.
- Dallas County Community College (El Centro College, Mountain View College and Richland College)
- Houston Community College
- South Texas College (McAllen campus)
- San Antonio College Alamo Colleges
- Austin Community College (Pinnacle Campus)
- Corpus Christi Del Mar College
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Maricopa Community Colleges (Gateway Community College, Phoenix College, and South Mountain Community College)
- Roanoke Virginia Western Community College
- Roseland Essex County
- San Diego Community College District (San Diego City College, San Diego Mesa College, San Diego Miramar College)
- San Diego Miracosta College
- San Diego Palomar College
- San Diego Southwestern College
- Los Angeles Southwest College
- Los Angeles El Camino College Compton Center
- Saint Cloud Technical and Community College
- Tampa Hillsborough Community College
- University of the District of Columbia Community College
- Nassau Community College
- Bronx Community College
- Hostos Community College
- Kingsborough Community College
- Macomb Community College
About Encore Capital Group, Inc.
Encore Capital Group, an international specialty finance company with operations spanning seven countries, provides debt recovery solutions for consumers and property owners across a broad range of assets. Through its subsidiaries, Encore Capital Group purchases portfolios of consumer receivables from major banks, credit unions, municipalities, and utility providers, and partners with individuals as they repay their obligations and work toward financial recovery.
Headquartered in San Diego, Encore is a publicly traded NASDAQ Global Select company (ticker symbol: ECPG) and a component stock of the Russell 2000, the S&P Small Cap 600, and the Wilshire 4500. More information about the company can be found at www.encorecapital.com. More information about the Company's Cabot Credit Management subsidiary can be found at www.cabotcm.com. These websites, and the information contained therein, are not incorporated into and are not a part of this press release.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/encore-capital-group-announces-community-college-scholarship-program-300004573.html
SOURCE Encore Capital Group