ST. LOUIS, Sept. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- You may not think it will happen to you, but 36 percent of American households have experienced a power outage in the past year, a new survey shows. Yet the survey* – by Energizer, a global leader in batteries and portable lights – finds that only 38 percent of American households keep an emergency kit at home for severe weather situations.
With National Preparedness Month in September, Energizer is encouraging all consumers to take action to prepare before severe weather strikes, including having an emergency kit on hand with portable lighting.
"Severe weather can pop up at any time and if you're unprepared, you could be left in the dark," said Brad Harrison, Vice President Marketing, North America, Energizer. "Energizer wants to empower consumers by providing them with innovative portable lighting solutions to prepare for any situation."
According to the survey, four-in-ten American households have experienced a power outage in the past year, which can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. Energizer has a variety of long lasting, high quality portable lights that are ideal for preparedness in any situation. Other highlights of the survey found that:
- Only 36 percent of households have discussed a safety plan for weather related emergencies or power outages.
- About half of households don't feel well prepared for a power outage.
- While 84 percent of households who keep an emergency kit said their kit includes a flashlight/handheld light only 36 percent of those that keep an emergency kit have a lantern and only 21 percent keep a headlight/headlamp in their kits.
- During a power outage, not having household lights make American households more uncomfortable than not being able to charge their cell phones or use the internet.
With these survey results in mind, Energizer is arming consumers with tips to prepare for severe weather:
- Create a plan. Have a plan with your family for what to do before, during and after severe weather. Make sure to practice your plan so you are ready for any situation.
- Keep a portable light in every room: When power goes out, you don't want to go digging through closets or drawers looking for that flashlight. Energizer portable lights ensure you're ready for any situation:
- Weatheready®– Long lasting, practical solutions designed to keep you and your family safe during a weather emergency
- Fusion Flashlights and Lanterns – Compact and versatile, Energizer® Light Fusion Technology products are compact, water resistant and provide impressively bright long lasting light
- Headlights – Energizer powerful LED headlights are lightweight and versatile – perfect for keeping your hands free during an emergency situation
- Designate a place to seek shelter. Designate a meeting place for your family to take shelter. A basement or the smallest, most-interior room on the lowest floor is safest for severe weather and tornados. In the event of a tropical storm or hurricane, evacuate the area if instructed by local authorities.
- Make an emergency kit. Keep an emergency kit stocked with bottled water, canned food, copies of vital information, a first aid kit with prescriptions and an Energizer® Emergency Weather Station, which acts as a light, radio and charging station.
- Check social media for updates. Oftentimes communications can be limited during severe weather. Social media can give you the most up-to-date information from local government agencies and news outlets.
- Charge your devices. Make sure to charge your cell phone and ensure that your radio and flashlight have fresh batteries. Energizer® MAX® with Power Seal Technology are long-lasting and designed not to leak in your devices. See www.energizer.com/guarantee
- Stock your vehicle. Don't be caught unaware in your car during a severe weather situation. Make sure to have an emergency kit with the essentials in your vehicle.
The Energizer Preparedness survey was conducted in August 2014 among 1,000 online Americans representative of the U.S. household population 18+ on age, gender, geographic division, income, household size, household designation, and market size via TNS' Omnibus, Express Online. The survey was conducted online.
Energizer Holdings, Inc., headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, is a consumer goods company operating globally in the broad categories of personal care and household products. Energizer Personal Care Division offers a diversified range of consumer products in the wet shave, skin care, feminine care and infant care categories. Our portfolio includes well established brand names such as Schick® and Wilkinson Sword® men's and women's shaving systems and disposable razors; Edge® and Skintimate® shave preparations; Playtex®, Stayfree®, Carefree® and o.b.® feminine care products; Playtex® infant feeding, Diaper Genie® and gloves; Banana Boat® and Hawaiian Tropic® sun care products and Wet Ones® moist wipes. Energizer's Household Products Division offers consumers a broad range of household and specialty batteries and portable lighting products, anchored by our universally recognized Energizer® and Eveready® brands.