SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., Feb. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Envivio, the leading provider of live and on-demand multi-screen IP video processing and delivery solutions, announced today that it will introduce the third generation of its 4Caster™ C4 live encoder/transcoder for Mobile TV, Internet TV and IPTV services at Mobile World Congress 2011. Nearly doubling the processing power and capable of supporting twice the HD channel density of its predecessor, the 4Caster C4 Gen III has already been deployed in live trials at four major operators in the U.S., Europe and Asia to meet the demand for live HD video services for Internet-connected tablets and TVs.
Envivio is also introducing version 2.4 firmware for the 4Caster C4 family. The new firmware brings numerous enhancements including support for the new Envivio Genesis™ output format—a single intermediate mezzanine format that supports multiple bit rates and resolutions to drive TV without boundaries for live and on demand services for every consumer device across multiple networks.
"The explosive growth of tablets and other TV alternatives is creating incredible opportunities for operators. Beyond the novelty of just delivering content to other devices, there is the greater challenge of building the high-quality services that retain subscribers," said Envivio CEO Julien Signes. "They want premium HD and other features on all of their devices. That is where Envivio's 4Caster Gen III delivers—it is the first video encoding platform optimized for the growing number and variety of HD formats operators must support."
4Caster C4 Gen III highlights:
- The only system in the industry that can deliver traditional broadcast television services and TV to other platforms from a single platform and a single headend.
- The first encoding system capable of ingesting sources and delivering up to 15 outputs per channel to meet the needs of traditional broadcast and IPTV ecosystems, as well as emerging Internet TV applications.
- Greater operational efficiency and simplified headend management by reducing the number of encoders systems needed.
- Increased encoder density reduces space, power and cooling requirements within the headend.
- The latest generation Intel® Xeon® Processor 5600 Series integrates Envivio's patented multi-core compression engine for optimal encoding efficiency.
- Upgradeable by firmware to provide support for future formats including 1080p 3D MVC output for the highest quality 3D viewing experience.
The new version 2.4 firmware for Envivio 4Caster C4, C4(2) and Gen III systems features:
- Support for the new Envivio Genesis mezzanine format.
- World's first solution to simultaneously support both IPTV and OTT outputs compatible with Microsoft Mediaroom 2.0, Silverlight and PlayReady environments.
- Enhanced interoperability for cable MSO networks.
- Increased input redundancy to maximize availability and reduce operational expenditures.
- Fine control over adaptive stream output to enhance quality of experience.
- Simplified deployment using native publishing interfaces to major CDNs including Akamai, Level 3 and Limelight Networks.
Envivio 4Caster C4 Gen III and version 2.4 firmware for 4Caster C4 and 4Caster C4(2) will be available in March 2011—contact your Envivio representative for information about upgrading existing encoders.
Envivio multi-screen solutions provide the means to deliver and profit from live and on-demand services for Mobile, PC and SD/HDTV screens, all from a single platform and headend simultaneously. For more information about multi-screen delivery solutions from Envivio, visit www.Envivio.com.
Envivio is the leader in solutions for multi-screen video-over-IP delivery. We remove the boundaries of traditional television and make the world's video content universally enjoyable by all viewers, on any device, across any network, at any time. Now in its second decade of developing market-leading video convergence solutions, Envivio has amassed dozens of patents, pioneered video-over-IP methods, and continually led in the deployment of emerging standards and new technologies. Today Envivio solutions deliver millions of content streams to hundreds of different styles of mobile devices, set top boxes, and PC platforms, on behalf of content owners, telecom operators, cable and satellite companies and mobile service providers in every market in the world. Deployment and support are backed by a global staff that is familiar with local technical, regulatory and market guidelines encountered around the world. Envivio is headquartered in South San Francisco, California and has offices worldwide including France England, China, Singapore and Japan. Envivio is a registered trademark and 4Caster, Envivio Genesis and TV without Boundaries are trademarks of Envivio, Inc. All trademarks used herein, whether recognized or not, are the properties of their respective companies.