MEMPHIS, Tenn., Nov. 17, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Evergreen Packaging®, a global leader in beverage paperboard carton manufacturing, today announced the winners of its second annual Evergreen Packaging Sustainability Leadership Awards as a part of the Go Evergreen Program. The program recognizes U.S.-based Evergreen Packaging employees and children of Evergreen Packaging employees in high school and college who demonstrate sustainability leadership in their schools or communities. Evergreen Packaging has awarded prizes to the nine national winners, totaling $5,000 in award money.
Six students and three Evergreen Packaging employees from across the country were selected for their extraordinary dedication and community leadership.
The national winners of the contest are as follows (Employee and College Grand Prize winners awarded $1,000 and Honorable Mention winners awarded $500, High School Grand Prize winner awarded $500 and Honorable Mention winners awarded $250):
Evergreen Packaging Employees:
- Grand Prize: Chris Stevens and Mike Stevens – Brothers Chris and Mike Stevens work at Evergreen Packaging's Canton, North Carolina facility. The Stevens brothers began working closely with The Powerhouse Youth Center in 2005, which provides mentoring for area youth and coordinates building projects that help community members in need make home repairs. Chris and Mike have provided mentoring services and adventure programs that help boost participants' self-esteem, and are currently in the process of building a youth center in Canton.
- Honorable Mention: Sheri Albrecht - Sheri works as a sales service manager in Evergreen Packaging's Cedar Rapids, Iowa facility. Albrecht has dedicated countless hours over the past 12 years to volunteering for the Catherine McAuley Center (CMC). Albrecht is a tutor for the CMC, which offers hope and opportunity through basic education for adults and transitional housing for women in need. Through its Adult Basic Education Program, CMC provides one-on-one tutoring for adult immigrants and refugees studying English or preparing for the U.S. Citizenship exam.
- Honorable Mention: Jerri Beatty - Jerri works remotely for Evergreen Packaging as a sales service representative in Virginia. Beatty is a dedicated supporter of Capital Area Rescue Effort (C.A.R.E), which rescues dogs from abusive situations and high kill shelters in Virginia and surrounding states. Beatty travels to animal shelters in in Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina to pick up dogs entering the C.A.R.E program and also helps fundraise for the organization.
- Grand Prize: Maria Roufaeil – Maria is a sophomore at the University of Toledo, and her father works at Evergreen Packaging's Olmstead Falls, Ohio facility. Roufaeil is a dedicated volunteer with the Syrian American Medical Society and spends her time tutoring refugee children who have recently arrived in the U.S. Through her efforts, Roufaeil helps these children master the basics of the English language and feel welcome and integrated in their communities.
- Honorable Mention: Madison Covey – Madison is a sophomore at North Carolina State University, and her father works at Evergreen Packaging's Raleigh, North Carolina facility. Covey is a pre-dental student and volunteers her time to support The Mission of Mercy. The Mission of Mercy clinics provide dental care for underprivileged individuals throughout North Carolina. Covey's work helps people in rural areas gain access to dental care and helps decrease anxiety surrounding dental procedures.
- Honorable Mention: Sarah Ferguson – Sarah is a sophomore at North Carolina State University, and her father works for Evergreen Packaging's Waynesville, North Carolina facility. Ferguson volunteers with fellow students for Habitat for Humanity. Through this work, Ferguson has participated in building projects and lead on-campus fundraiser events that help provide homes for those in need while also increasing awareness of the importance of recycling and reusing household products and building goods.
High School Students:
- Grand Prize: Camille Ruth Howell – Camille is a sophomore at Lewisburg High School in Olive Branch, Mississippi, and her mother works at Evergreen Packaging's Memphis office. Howell is involved in the mission of the Southern Reigns Center for Equine Therapy. This organization provides equine therapy for individuals with a wide variety of disabilities and special needs. Howell accompanies riders in the ring to keep them calm and safe during riding sessions.
- Honorable Mention: Zoe Victoria Wagner – Zoe is a sophomore at Lebanon High School in Lebanon, Ohio, and her mother works remotely for Evergreen Packaging in Lebanon. Wagner volunteers for Interfaith – an organization dedicated to providing temporary housing for homeless families. Wagner acts as a greeter for families staying at the guest house and also provides administrative and cleaning support.
- Honorable Mention: Brooke Fraysher – Brooke is a freshman at Cedar Shoals High School in Athens, Georgia, and her mother works for Evergreen's Athens facility. Fraysher volunteers with Hilsman Middle School Science and Energy Team. Through this work, Fraysher promotes energy and resource conservation awareness with youth throughout the region.
"We are proud to celebrate Evergreen Packaging employees and employees' children who have committed themselves to bettering their communities, the environment, and paving the way for a more positive, sustainable future," said Bob Shanahan, President at Evergreen Packaging. "Whether they are mentoring at-risk youth or helping low-income individuals gain access to dental care, these outstanding individuals are truly making their communities and the planet a better place."
The Sustainability Leadership Scholarship program was developed as part of Evergreen Packaging's commitment to building a sustainable business and promoting sustainable communities. Evergreen's focus on sustainability includes promoting community engagement that involves environmental, economic, and social considerations. Evergreen tapped scholastic specialists and sustainability experts to participate in the program judging committee. These judges included:
- Jen Andrews: Andrews is the Executive Director of Shelby Farms Park Conservancy, a 501(c)3 organization responsible for management and operations of Shelby Farms Park and Greenline. Formerly Development and Communications Director for the organization, Jen designed and executed the extensive public engagement strategy for SFPC's visionary master plan and was responsible for the fundraising for its $70 million capital campaign. Jen is a graduate of Rhodes College with a BA in English Literature and is originally from Marianna, Arkansas.
- Steve Brown: Brown, of Waynesville, North Carolina, is an experienced leader of non-profit organizations including the Haywood county school board and hospital foundations. He has been involved with many local professional organizations including the Boy Scouts, Rotary Club and Salvation Army. Brown is the currently the Executive Director for The Arc of Haywood County, which is an organization that provides residential services to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families.
For more information on the program, and to see other ways Evergreen Packaging is promoting a focus on sustainability, visit www.evergreenpackaging.com/about.
About Evergreen Packaging®
Evergreen Packaging is a global leader in creating fiber-based packaging solutions customized to deliver product freshness and brand distinction. Evergreen Packaging is a vertically integrated packaging company, delivering total solutions of barrier paperboard, technical expertise, equipment and service.
Evergreen Packaging cartons have the eco-friendly attributes consumers want: more than 70 percent of the carton is made from paper derived from a renewable resource: trees. Cartons are also recyclable for an increasing number of households. In addition, our cartons are made with renewable energy – over 50% of the energy used to make the paper in our cartons comes from biomass.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/evergreen-packaging-announces-winners-of-sustainability-leadership-awards-300365215.html
SOURCE Evergreen Packaging