WASHINGTON, April 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Government Business Council (GBC), the research division of Government Executive Media Group, today released findings from a survey of 1,200 federal managers regarding the possible shutdown of the federal government. The survey was conducted on Wednesday, April 6th.
Key findings from the survey include:
- Most federal employees (56 percent) are still unaware of their agency's plans for implementing a shutdown of operations if funding for federal agencies runs out Friday night.
- More than half of respondents (51 percent) said they do not know whether they would have to report to work during a shutdown.
- Agency morale is low. Most respondents (48 percent) rate morale in their agency as "low" or "very low".
- Federal employees hold Congressional Republicans most responsible for the potential shutdown, above Congressional Democrats, the White House and the Tea Party.
- A full 44 percent are not optimistic that they will receive retroactive pay, saying they believe it is either "unlikely" or "highly unlikely" that they will receive back-pay for the shutdown period.
The e-mail survey was developed jointly by Government Business Council and the editors of Government Executive magazine and then distributed to a random sample of GovernmentExecutive.com readers on Wednesday, April 6th. A total of 1,204 federal employees completed the survey, representing civilian and defense agencies, between noon and 6pm. Of that total, 72 percent of respondents hold GS/GM grade of 12 or above and 47.5% manage one or more direct report.
For more information on the survey, contact Bryan Klopack at 202.266.7122 or [email protected].
About Government Business Council (GBC):
As Government Executive Media Group's research intelligence division, Government Business Council is dedicated to advancing the business of government through analysis, insight and analytical independence. As an extension of Government Executive's 40 years of exemplary editorial standards and a commitment to the highest ethical values, GBC studies influential decision-makers from across the federal government to produce intelligence-based research and analysis.
About Government Executive Media Group:
Government Executive Media Group is the premier resource for federal management news and analysis. Its magazine and related online, events and research offerings cover the entire spectrum of challenges confronting federal executives across civilian and defense agencies. Visit www.GovernmentExecutive.com.
Director of Research
Government Business Council
SOURCE Government Business Council