MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Nov. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The 2014 Exponential Medicine conference, hosted by Singularity University, kicks off November 9-12 at the iconic Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, CA. Innovators from across diverse clinical fields and industries will gather to explore how fast moving and often convergent technologies can advance the future of health and medicine. Participation in the event is still available, but very limited. Learn more and apply to participate here: http://ExponentialMedicine.com/2014.
"Exponential Medicine is a non-traditional, cross-disciplinary meeting of the minds that aims to reimagine health and biomedicine through new ways of thinking about technology, with participants getting involved via hands-on, interactive sessions, and a participant-driven 'unconference'," said Daniel Kraft, MD, founding executive director and Conference Chair. "Since 2011, the unique format of this program has been a catalyst for breaking down silos, enabling partnerships and inspiring new ventures."
Examples of ventures and/or partnerships that have been formed at this event include:
- Scanadu, a maker of medical technology devices for consumers, including its flagship product, the Scout, a hand-held device that is a leading contender in the "tricorder" XPRIZE competition
- Jointly Health, a cross-disciplinary team that has developed big data analytics for remote patient monitoring
- A series of new collaborations between Kaiser and UCSD as a result of participants and faculty interacting during the program
This year's program will feature more than 50 world-class faculty including Synthetic Genomics' Craig Venter, XPRIZE's Peter Diamandis, UCSF's Laura Esserman, uBiome's Jessica Richman, digital patient advocate e-Patient Dave, investor Vinod Khosla and Google's Ray Kurzweil. These and other thought leaders will lead discussions that explore:
- Diverse technologies to advance medical practice and patient engagement ranging from mobile health, big data analytics and artificial intelligence to 3D printing, robotics and the internet of things
- Investigation into how personalization, gene therapy and regenerative medicine will change our approach to prevention, diagnosis and therapy
- New approaches to addressing basic healthcare challenges in underserved regions, including the ongoing Ebola epidemic in West Africa
Distinguishing elements of Exponential Medicine include over 25 breakout workshops, an Unconference where participants are encouraged to engage with one another to share ideas and technologies, or explore areas of common interest, and the Healthcare Innovation Lab where 100 global innovators, representing 50 start-ups, will provide hands-on demonstrations of technologies from robots and medical diagnostics to augmented reality. Innovation Lab companies compete for MEDy (Medical Entrepreneurship & Disruption) Awards, with the winners offered an opportunity to demo their product on the Exponential Medicine main stage.
In addition, the winner of the Nokia Sensing XCHALLENGE, part of XPRIZE, will be announced on Monday, November 10th. The Nokia Sensing XCHALLENGE is a $2.25 million global competition to accelerate the availability of hardware sensors and software sensing technology that individuals can use to access, understand and improve their health and well-being.
"We predict this year's Exponential Medicine will be our most exciting yet," said Peter Diamandis, MD, Co-founder & Executive Chairman of Singularity University and Chairman and CEO of the XPRIZE Foundation. "The convergence of our diverse faculty, participants and presenting companies, along with the recent explosion in technologies in almost every sector, will create an environment primed for change."
- For more information and to apply to participate, visit: http://ExponentialMedicine.com/2014
- For a full list of faculty, visit: http://ExponentialMedicine.com/2014faculty
- For the full agenda, visit: http://ExponentialMedicine.com/2014agenda
"Exponential Medicine is a core element in SU's conference series and the caliber of participants and speakers that we gather make this a truly remarkable and must-attend event for clinicians, inventors, technologists and senior leaders in healthcare and medicine," said Will Weisman, SU's Executive Director of Conferences.
About Exponential Medicine 2014
Celebrating five years of cross-discipline healthcare innovation and disruption, Exponential Medicine brings together leading thinkers, innovators and practitioners to reveal what's happening in labs and clinical trials today, and what game-changing technologies are likely coming to market in the next 2 to 10 years.
About Singularity University
Singularity University (SU) is a benefit corporation headquartered at NASA Research Park in Silicon Valley. SU provides educational programs, innovative partnerships and a business accelerator to help individuals, businesses, institutions, investors, NGOs and governments understand cutting-edge technologies and how to utilize these technologies to positively impact billions of people. From our inception in 2008, SU has empowered individuals from more than 85 countries to apply exponentially growing technologies to address humanity's grand challenges. SU's Founding Corporate Partners include Genentech, Autodesk, Cisco, ePlanet Ventures, Google, Kauffman Foundation and Nokia. To learn more, visit singularityu.org.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Follow us on Twitter: @exponentialmed #xMed
SOURCE Singularity University