OMAHA, Neb., March 4, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With successful first uses as a universal device on March 1, several jurisdictions had 100% of their in-person voters mark their selections and cast their vote with Election Systems & Software's (ES&S) ExpressVote® Universal Voting Systems and DS200® in-precinct vote scanners and tabulators. On a historic Super Tuesday across the nation, this move helped speed Election Day for the voters in each of these jurisdictions. Voters in Tennessee were able to vote an exceptionally long ballot with dozens of candidates on the ExpressVote in less than four minutes. Voter turnout was extremely high in the jurisdictions, breaking historical records across the country.
Facts at a glance:
- With the ExpressVote every single vote cast is captured on a verifiable paper record.
- It's universally designed so every voter can be afforded an equal voting experience.
- Voters make their selections utilizing the ExpressVote's touch screen so there are no marginal or indiscriminate marks.
- The ExpressVote is certified for use in 21 states and counting.
- The ExpressVote eliminates Election Day issues such as overvotes and blank ballots.
- ExpressVote units use blank card stock that can be used for any election, saving the jurisdiction and tax payers money in the process. There is no need to separate cards by party.
"This was a remarkable debut of the ExpressVote as a universal voting device for primaries," remarked Tom Burt, President & CEO of ES&S. "The ease of use was evident for poll workers." Mac Beeson, Regional Sales Manager for ES&S stated "Voters remarked the process was easier than filling out paper ballots. Some ballots had quite a few contests and the ExpressVote helped voters quickly make sense of it all and select their desired candidates." Burt also added "This was the smoothest rollout in recent history of a new piece of technology, during an extremely important primary for the jurisdictions that elected to use ExpressVote units as their primary form of voting."
The ExpressVote and DS200 in-precinct voting system configuration will also have its first use in five jurisdictions during the upcoming West Virginia primaries. This equipment is part of the federally certified EVS 188.8.131.52 election management solution.
To learn more about the full ES&S suite of voting solutions, please visit www.essvote.com/products.
ABOUT ES&S: Election Systems and Software, LLC (ES&S) is the world's largest elections-only company, providing election equipment and services for nearly 35 years. ES&S serves 42 states and more than 2,400 of the 3,144 county-level governments across the United States. Learn more about ES&S at www.essvote.com and on Facebook at facebook.com/essvote.
SOURCE Election Systems & Software