NEWTON, Mass., July 27, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The Invest in Others Charitable Foundation is pleased to announce the fifteen financial advisors who were selected as finalists for the 2016 Community Leadership Awards in the categories of Catalyst, Community Service, Global Community Impact, Volunteer of the Year, and Lifetime Achievement.
Now in its tenth year, the Community Leadership Awards program recognizes the charitable work of financial advisors and financial services firms in communities across the country and around the world. Through this flagship program, Invest in Others has presented 43 awards, partnered with over 125 charities, shared hundreds of inspirational stories, and donated over $2 million to causes that financial advisors and firms care so much about.
Financial advisors are nominated by their peers for actively giving back to non-profits to improve their communities and make a difference in the lives of others. Hundreds of nominations were received this year and finalists were selected based on their leadership, dedication, contribution, inspiration, and impact on a non-profit and the community it serves. The designated non-profits of award finalists and winners will receive donations of up to $25,000 from Invest in Others.
By award category, the 2016 finalists are:
- Lisette Cooper of Athena Capital Advisors LLC in Lincoln, Mass. for the Boston Youth Sanctuary
- Janel Huston of Raymond James in Winnetka, Ill. for Children's Oncology Services, Inc.
- Michael J. Nathanson of The Colony Group in Boston, Mass. for the National Brain Tumor Society
- Trent Bryson of Bryson Financial in Long Beach, Calif. for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Long Beach
- Daniel C. Jones of Raymond James in Jenkintown, Pa. for The Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis
- Roy C. Jordan of Northwestern Mutual in Nashville, Tenn. for the Green Hills Family YMCA/YMCA of Middle Tennessee
Global Community Impact
- Larry Goff of Triloma Securities, LLC in Winter Park, Fla. for Beauty for Ashes Uganda
- Michael Meltzer of Tocqueville Asset Management L.P. in New York City for Maya's Hope Foundation, Inc.
- Steven Tonkinson of Tonkinson Financial in Miami, Fla. for ShelterBox USA
Volunteer of the Year
- Mary Lou Arveseth of Financial Network in Draper, Utah for American Foundation for Suicide Prevention-Utah Chapter
- Chad Coe of Coe Financial Group in Deerfield, Ill. for Special Kids Network
- Ryan Harman of Edward Jones in Hendersonville, N.C. for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Inc.
- Gerard Klingman of Klingman & Associates, LLC/Raymond James in New York City for Best Buddies International
- Frank Lento of Merrill Lynch in Paramus, N.J. for the Institute for Educational Achievement
- Jeffrey Owens of BPG Wealth Management LLC in Clackamas, Ore. for Children's Cancer Association
"This year's finalists are extraordinary. The non-profits they work with represent a range of causes, from medical research to youth development and suicide prevention, and collectively serve more than 4 million people annually. Together, these fifteen advisors have raised over $14 million in the past three years and spend an average of 30 hours per month volunteering to make a difference. These individuals are truly making an impact and we're thrilled to recognize them for it," said Megan McAuley, Executive Director & President of Invest in Others.
Awards will be presented at the tenth annual Invest in Others Community Leadership Awards Gala, a premier event attended by over 500 financial advisors and financial services executives, on September 29, 2016 in New York City. The Presenting Diamond Sponsor of the Gala is Fidelity Investments and Platinum Sponsors are Allianz, LPL Financial, Nuveen Investments, and TD Ameritrade.
About the Invest in Others Charitable Foundation
The Invest in Others Charitable Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that was founded by the financial services industry to amplify the charitable work of financial advisors and their firms to make a difference in communities across the United States and around the world. To realize our goals, we recognize and reward philanthropy, inspire volunteerism, and inform the investing public about the positive impact made by advisors and their firms in their communities. Today, Invest in Others is the premier, industry wide non-profit dedicated to recognizing, encouraging, and supporting the charitable work of financial advisors and the advisory industry. For more information, visit www.investinothers.org.
Jessica Dunham, Director of Marketing and Communications
SOURCE Invest in Others Charitable Foundation