ST. PAUL, Minn., Feb. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Finding that once-a-year treat is in the palm of your hand when you use the Cookie Locator. Download the free app by dialing **GSCOOKIES (**472665437) from a smartphone or visit GirlScoutsRV.org for a link. Hurry—sales end March 23!
- In 2013, local Girl Scouts earned more than $2.9 million for their troops. This money helps troops pay for troop activities, community service projects, and uniforms.
- Customers can purchase cookies to be donated to a local nonprofit or military men and women.
- After paying the baker for the cookies, all money stays here to benefit local Girl Scouts.
- Last year, local Girl Scouts sold an average of 146 packages each.
- The cookies available (in order of popularity) are: Thin Mints, Samoas, Tagalongs, Do-si-dos, Trefoils, and Savannah Smiles.
- Girl Scouts of the USA licenses two bakers to produce the cookies for the entire country. River Valleys uses Little Brownie Bakers. This is why some Girl Scout Cookies have two names (Trefoils/Shortbreads).
- The two bakers are only required to bake Thin Mints, Trefoils/Shortbreads and Do-si-dos/Peanut Butter Sandwiches. They can then choose up to five additional varieties to offer.
- The girls on the cookie packages are real Girl Scouts (not models).
- Only Girl Scouts can sell cookies.
- Girls Scouts in River Valleys are the first girls to ever sell cookies online through a new pilot being tested.
About Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin River Valleys
In partnership with 17,000 committed volunteers and adult members, Girl Scouts River Valleys serves more than 41,000 girls through a 49-county council that spans southern Minnesota (44), western Wisconsin (4), and Iowa (1). Through Girl Scouts, girls discover new abilities, connect with new friends, and take action to improve their communities. For more information, call 800-845-0787 or visit GirlScoutsRV.org.
NOTE: Cookie spokesgirls (local Girl Scouts who love to talk about the Cookie Program) are available for interviews. To connect with a girl in your area, call Jolene Ross, product program communications manager, at 763-971-4068 or email at [email protected].
Product Program Communications Manager
SOURCE Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin River Valleys