LAS VEGAS and PETERBOROUGH, N.H., May 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- SDE's 2017 SDE National Conference will feature sessions dedicated to first-grade teachers responsible for instilling fundamental skills children will use the rest of their lives. This I Teach 1st! strand will address guided math, time/behavior management, poverty/intervention, collaborative learning, and other relevant topics. The 2017 National Conference hosted by Staff Development for Educators (SDE) will be held July 10–14, 2017, in Las Vegas, NV.
"A child's academic success is determined in first grade. Without a successful first grade experience, a child may fall behind in later years. Clearly, a knowledgeable and confident teacher plays an absolutely essential role in making that experience happen," Kymra Kurinskas, SDE program developer, says.
Through 100+ hands-on and interactive sessions, teachers will take a fresh look at how to strengthen foundational math and literacy skills and build the capacity of children for rigorous tasks. They'll collect ideas being used to engage students in innovative learning experiences. In addition, they'll identify instructional best practices that support prevention and intervention. Featured sessions include:
- Hands-on Math Centers: Meeting the Standards shares hands-on, standards-based math activities that reinforce the skills children need to be successful and that encourage them to become autonomous learners.
- Coding for Kids presents simple and fun apps, websites, and technology tools to help teachers introduce the basics of block coding in their classroom and useful strategies to help them teach basic programming without computers.
- Critical Thinking: Getting Kids to Think About Their Thinking equips teachers with activities and strategies for building critical thinking skills in our youngest students.
- 8 Strategies for Scaffolding Beginning Writers shows teachers how to coach students to write in journals, tackle words they aren't sure how to spell, and write full sentences in no time.
- Differentiating Assignments through Learning Centers is packed with ideas and activities for content areas, reading, and writing, and tips for incorporating the standards.
"First grade teachers pour their hearts, souls, and time into their students. This energizing conference will lighten their workload with ready-to-use, research-based instructional strategies and fun games. There'll be no shortage of terrific ideas for motivating young learners and bringing joy into the classroom," Kurinskas adds.
To register for SDE's national conferences and pre-conferences, upcoming PD events, or other professional development opportunities, visit www.SDE.com, call 1-800-462-1478, or email email@example.com.
SDE is one of America's leading providers of professional development for PreK through Grade 12 educators. Through Onsite PD, PD Events, Web-Based PD, and PD Resources, the company empowers teachers and administrators across the country with ongoing professional development that is not only research-based, innovative, and rigorous, but also practical, motivating, and fun. All SDE training is presented by the nation's top authors and educational experts, with the goal of creating extraordinary classrooms that prepare students for the evolving demands of the 21st century.
For more information about SDE, educators are encouraged to visit www.sde.com, or to call 1-800-462-1478.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/first-grade-teachers-discover-how-to-create-aha-moments-through-guided-math-stem-brain-based-teaching--more-at-2017-sde-national-conference-300452512.html
SOURCE Staff Development for Educators