FORT WORTH, Texas, Feb. 11, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Love is in the air, and not just for humans. According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $751million on Valentine's Day gifts for their pets in 2018. There is no price tag on giving love, so Dr. Jen Kasten, technical services veterinarian at Tomlyn Veterinary Science, shares five fun ways to show your cat or dog extra love on Valentine's Day.
"Valentine's Day is a fun, light-hearted holiday and a good yearly reminder to show appreciation to the ones you love, and that's not just limited to humans," said Dr. Kasten. "Our pets are our daily companions and there are plenty of ways to make them feel extra special on Valentine's Day."
Dr. Kasten shares five ways to make it a celebration that your pet will remember:
- Treat Scavenger Hunt: It's no secret that dogs and cats are motivated by food. Make them feel extra special on Valentine's Day this year by hiding a handful of their favorite treats around the house so they'll have yummy surprises throughout the day. This technique is also great for helping dogs build confidence as they get a positive reward when they find the treat.
- Toy Filled Stocking: Who says stockings are just for Christmas? Make or buy a heart shaped stocking and pack it with your pet's favorite toys and treats. Watching your cat or dog play with new a toy is one of the best experiences, so it'll be a gift for both you and your pet! Don't forget to document the opening of the stocking via photos!
- Opt Outdoors: Live somewhere that's already warm in February? Hop in the car and head to your dog's favorite trail for the day. Bring along snacks and plenty of water. Maybe even make it a double date by inviting your dog's favorite canine friend to come along for the adventure.
- Take a Trip to a Pet Retail Store: Does your pet have a favorite store? Take them on a surprise trip and let them sniff their way down the aisles, picking out a few (or as many as they want) new toys to take home.
- Donate a Valentine's Day Gift to Local Shelter Pets: If your dog or cat isn't motivated by new toys or treats, or you don't have a pet, consider putting together a Valentine's Day gift for animals at your local shelter. Include a new warm blanket or bed, a catnip flavored mouse toy for the cats, a bone to chew on for the dogs, and Tomlyn's Relax and Calm Chews for cats and dogs. Shelters can be a stressful environment for pets, so it's important to make them feel as comfortable as possible until they are ready to go to their forever home.
If you celebrate Valentine's Day with your pet in one of these ways, let us know on social media by using the hashtag #LoveIsInTheAir or #TomlynLovesPets. We'll be sharing our favorite images on Facebook and Instagram the week of Valentine's Day.
Tomlyn, a world-class animal health and wellness company founded in 1976, carries a complete line of scientifically developed, veterinarian-approved animal health products. The company's wide selection of product categories range from immune support, vitamins, digestive support and hairball remedies, to joint and hip support, calming aids and sanitizers. Tomlyn expanded into the equine and bovine industry in 2017 with the EPIC® line and now the addition of three new Equistro® equine health supplements. Tomlyn is owned by, Vetoquinol, the eighth-largest veterinary pharmaceutical company in the world. For more information, please visit www.tomlyn.com, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or YouTube.
(614) 402 - 0909