LAS VEGAS, Nov. 14, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- A prominent benchmarking organization has rated MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) as among the nation's leading companies for workplace equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) employees.
Based on the company's policies and practices relating to LGBTQ employees, the Human Rights Campaign announced that for the sixth consecutive year, MGM Resorts has earned a perfect score on the 2018 Corporate Equality Index (CEI), an annual Human Rights Campaign (HRC) survey that evaluates major companies for their non-discrimination and benefits policies and practices with respect to LGBTQ employees.
"Diversity and inclusion are bedrocks of our company culture and way of doing business. This commitment is demonstrated not only through our diverse workforce, but also in the top quality of service we provide to our guests who visit us from all corners and cultures of the world," said Phyllis A. James, Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity & Corporate Responsibility Officer for MGM Resorts International. "We are honored to be recognized for the vigorous efforts we invest in promoting equality for all within our Company, our communities and human society. We will proudly continue to stand with the LGBTQ community in helping to build a world that embraces inclusion and respect for the humanity and dignity of all people."
The CEI assessment focuses on LGBTQ-related company policies and practices, including nondiscrimination workplace protections, transgender-inclusive health care benefits, competency programs, and public engagement with the LGBTQ community.
The 2018 CEI rated 947 businesses, of which 609 achieved 100 percent, earning the coveted distinction of "Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality."
MGM Resorts has a long-standing record of support of the LGBTQ community, as a National Corporate Partner of HRC and otherwise. For instance:
- The company was the first in the gaming and hospitality industry to formally adopt a diversity initiative (2000) and to offer health benefits to same-sex couples (2004).
- In 2004, MGM Resorts was a founding partner of the Las Vegas chapter of the Human Rights Campaign.
- MGM Resorts has sponsored the Las Vegas PRIDE Parade for 12 years, most recently serving as the presenting sponsor.
- In 2011, MGM Resorts expanded its supplier and construction diversity programs to include lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBTQ)-owned firms.
- In 2013, MGM Resorts donated $300,000 to The Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Southern Nevada to support the construction and opening of its new building.
- Years before same-sex marriage was legalized, same-sex commitment ceremonies were performed at chapels at MGM Resorts' properties, which continue to develop specialized marriage ceremony offerings and outreach to same-sex couples.
For more information about MGM Resorts International's commitment to diversity and inclusion, please visit: www.mgmresorts.com/csr.
About the Human Rights Campaign
The Human Rights Campaign Foundation is the educational arm of America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender and queer people. HRC envisions a world where LGBTQ people are embraced as full members of society at home, at work and in every community.
About MGM Resorts International
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) is an S&P 500® global entertainment company with national and international locations featuring best-in-class hotels and casinos, state-of-the-art meetings and conference spaces, incredible live and theatrical entertainment experiences, and an extensive array of restaurant, nightlife and retail offerings. MGM Resorts creates immersive, iconic experiences through its suite of Las Vegas-inspired brands. The MGM Resorts portfolio encompasses 27 unique hotel offerings including some of the most recognizable resort brands in the industry. The company is expanding throughout the U.S. and around the world, developing MGM Springfield in Massachusetts and MGM COTAI in Macau, and debuting the first international Bellagio branded hotel in Shanghai. The 77,000 global employees of MGM Resorts are proud of their company for being recognized as one of FORTUNE® Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies®. For more information visit us at www.mgmresorts.com.
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/for-sixth-consecutive-year-human-rights-campaign-names-mgm-resorts-international-one-of-the-best-places-to-work-for-lgbtq-equality-300555399.html
SOURCE MGM Resorts International