FREMONT, Mich., Dec. 2, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Fremont Michigan InsuraCorp, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: FMMH) is committed to providing its customers service that is second to none. As part of that commitment to customer service, the Company regularly offers a variety of tips to help homeowners avoid costly damages to their properties. As summer comes to a close and the weather turns noticeably cooler, many homeowners across the state will rely on their wood-burning units to heat their homes. Fremont Insurance offers a few simple reminders about the yearly maintenance issues associated with operating a wood-burning unit in your home:
- Frequently check the unit and chimney flues
- Inspect the chimney from the roof, using a flashlight to look for obstructions or damage
- Check the stovepipes for creosote build-up
- If a creosote build-up is identified, have the chimney and stove professionally cleaned
- Burn only seasoned wood, preferably at least 2 years old
- Keep combustible materials away from the unit to avoid the danger of ignition
- Alert children to the hazard of high surface temperatures, and keep them away from the stove to prevent burns or clothing ignition
- Maintain a multi-purpose fire extinguisher near the stove
- Regularly maintain extinguishers and smoke detectors
"Wood-burning units have become more popular over the past several years as a lower cost alternative for heating a home," said Kurt Dettmer, vice president of marketing for Fremont Insurance. "While wood-burning units offer a host of benefits, homeowners should also be aware of the dangers associated with these devices and take the necessary precautions to avoid injuries and property damage."
About Fremont Michigan InsuraCorp, Inc.
Fremont Michigan InsuraCorp, Inc. is the holding company for Fremont Insurance Company. Headquartered in Fremont, Mich., the company provides property and casualty insurance to individuals, farms and small businesses exclusively in Michigan. Fremont Michigan InsuraCorp's common stock trades under the symbol "FMMH."
SOURCE Fremont Michigan InsuraCorp, Inc.