PARIS, January 28, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
Today, Gameloft, a leading digital and social game developer and publisher, released its sales figures for the twelve months ended December 31, 2014.
"It has been a mixed year for Gameloft with its back catalogue performing strongly but a disappointing contribution from its 2014 line-up. We launched indeed twelve smartphone games in 2014 compared to more than twenty per year on average in the previous five years," stated Michel Guillemot, CEO of Gameloft. "In the past few months we have made several internal adjustments that will allow the company to release once again around twenty new titles per year going forward and to launch these games at a regular pace during the year. In the meantime, the ongoing traction of our back catalogue has shown that many of our products have the potential to contribute to revenues for several years. The combination of strong back catalogue sales and of a robust line-up of new games should allow Gameloft to return to profitable and rapid growth."
Selected Financial Highlights and Metrics
- 2014 sales of €227.3 million, down 3% year on year, and up 1% on a constant-exchange-rate basis.
- Back catalogue games accounted for close to 90% of full-year sales, up 15% year on year.
- EMEA was 33% of 2014 sales; North America, 28%; APAC, 22%; and LATAM, 18%.
- Q4 sales of €60.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2014, down 3% year on year, down 6% on a constant-exchange-rate basis and up 8% quarter on quarter.
- Monthly active users averaged 170 million in Q4.
- Daily active users averaged 21 million in Q4.
Selected Product Highlights
- 700 million Gameloft games were downloaded in 2014 on the AppStore and Google Play.
- Gameloft was the worldwide #1 publisher on iOS and the #2 on Google Play by downloads according to App Annie's 2014 worldwide index for games.
- Gameloft released four new titles in the fourth quarter of 2014: Cars®: Fast as Lightning, Action Star G, Pastry Paradise™, Brothers in Arms® 3: Sons of War.
- Cars: Fast as Lightning was the third most downloaded game worldwide on iOS and Google Play in October.
- Gameloft released Dragon Mania Legends® and Puzzle Pets in January 2015 and plans to launch three additional smartphone games by the end of the first quarter of 2015 including the much awaited sequel to its Dungeon Hunter franchise.
Financial and Business Outlook
Gameloft expects to increase its number of annual smartphone game releases to twenty starting 2015, which should help drive future revenues. Additionally, the key performance indicators of recently released titles such as Spider-Man® Unlimited, Brothers in Arms 3: Sons of War and Dragon Mania Legends indicate a clear improvement compared with similar products launched in previous years.
The company has set up its own in-house digital ad agency and has started as planned to sell the inventory available in close to twenty of its games. "With major advertising companies now switching a larger part of their budgets to mobile and with Gameloft being one of the leading publishers by downloads and audience, we expect advertising to become a significant new line of business for the company and to unlock long-term shareholder value," added Michel Guillemot.
The Group's annual results will be published on March 18, 2015, after the market closes. The guidance for 2014 current operating expenses remains unchanged at around €230.0 million.
A leading publisher of digital and social games, Gameloft® has established itself as one of the top innovators in its field since 2000. Gameloft creates games for all digital platforms, including feature phones, smartphones, tablets (including Apple® iOS, Android® and Windows® devices) , set-top boxes and connected TVs. Gameloft operates its own established franchises such as Asphalt®, Order & Chaos, Modern Combat and Dungeon Hunter and also partners with major rights holders including Universal, Illumination Entertainment, Disney®, Marvel®, Hasbro®, Fox Digital Entertainment, Mattel® and Ferrari®. Gameloft is present on all continents, distributes its games in over 100 countries and employs over 5,200 developers.
Gameloft is listed on NYSE Euronext Paris (NYSE Euronext: GFT.PA, Bloomberg: GFT FP, Reuters: GLFT.PA). Gameloft's sponsored Level 1 ADR (ticker: GLOFY) is traded OTC in the US.