HARRISBURG, Pa., Jan. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Geneia today announced that the company has been chosen to present at the Keystone Health Promotion Conference, a three-day health promotion and personal wellness conference for school districts, hospitals and employers. Geneia health education consultant Nicole Hunt, RD, LDN and registered dietitian Amanda Dolan, MS, RDN, LDN, will talk with attendees about the company's proprietary Worksite Nutrition Culture Assessment.
Geneia's Worksite Nutrition Culture Assessment is used by employers to gather baseline information and identify opportunities to improve the organization's nutrition culture. The assessment addresses and makes recommendations on five key components:
- Policy/Administration: Management Support, Nutrition Committee
- Programs: Health Risk Assessment, Biometric Data
- Food Access: Nutrition Standards, Portion Sizes
- Catering/Vending: Vending Contracts, Pricing of Healthier Options
- Nutrition Promotion: Marketing of Healthy Options, Employee Feedback
"Poor food choices by employees can lead to obesity, diabetes, heart conditions, decreased productivity, and increased absences from work," said Nicole Hunt, RD, LDN, Geneia's Senior Health Education Consultant. "Using the recommendations generated by Geneia's Worksite Nutrition Culture Assessment, employers can make simple changes which support employee health such as decreasing portion sizes in the company cafeteria and adding healthy choices to vending machines."
Employers using the assessment have made a range of improvements to their nutrition culture including:
- Making changes to the catering guidelines and foods provided at company meetings
- Adding fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmer's markets provided to employees for staff recognition
- Sponsoring a healthy recipe cook-off
- Adding a salad bar to the company cafeteria
- Launching an incentive campaign for healthy vending choices
For more information on the Keystone Health Promotion Conference, visit http://www.psahperd.org/Keystone_Health_Promotion.
Geneia is a health care innovations company specializing in the development and deployment of clinical, analytic, and technical solutions for health care. Our staff of nearly 200 seasoned professionals including 100 nurses and physicians has significant experience in all aspects of health care. We develop, acquire, and market leapfrogging technologies to improve the cost of health care, and the health of the people we serve.
Geneia offers an array of health and wellness programs, including the Worksite Nutrition Culture Assessment which evaluates and makes recommendations about food choices in the workplace. The Geneia Institute educates clinicians and other health care professionals in population health, care coordination, and other emerging models. Geneia helps hospitals, physicians, health plans, brokers, employers, and their employees succeed in the post healthcare reform environment. For more information, visit www.geneia.com.