ONTARIO, Calif., Feb. 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- A new Valentine's Day survey conducted by adult novelty manufacturer CalExotics reveals that 88 percent of people would be open to receiving a sex toy as a gift from a romantic partner, with the vast majority saying they'd be "thrilled" or "intrigued" about it, yet only 29 percent have actually given one.
Nichole Grossmann, spokesperson for CalExotics, said: "These survey results are fascinating because they tell two very insightful stories. The first is that the overall stigma surrounding sex toys is diminishing, with nearly 90 percent of people saying they'd be open to receiving a sex toy as a gift. This number is a massive 'win' in terms of sex positivity and the acknowledgment that sexual pleasure is, indeed, a gift. The second tells a different tale. With only 29 percent of people saying they've actually given a sex toy as a gift - despite the fact that they would want to receive one themselves - means that they still feel a bit embarrassed to give a toy to their romantic partner. While this stigma is clearly lifting, overall, we're not quite there yet."
Survey Findings: Gifting Sex Toys & Romantic Relationships
- 29% of respondents have given a sex toy to someone for Valentine's Day or another holiday; 71% have not.
- When asked how they would feel if gifted a sex toy for Valentine's Day, 24% said "thrilled," 42% said "intrigued," 22% said "indifferent," and only 12% said "worried/upset."
- The 30-44 age group was significantly more likely (43%) to have given a sex toy to a partner than the 18-29 age group (24%).
- Those currently single were more likely to have given a sex toy as a gift.
- Only looking at those in a relationship, men and women were evenly split on whether they have given a sex toy as a gift.
- Men are more likely to feel "intrigued" about receiving a sex toy from a partner.
Survey Findings: Gifting Sex Toys & Friendship
- When asked how they would feel if a friend gave them a sex toy as a gift, 28% said "happy," 19% said "embarrassed but secretly welcomed," 45% said "weird," and only 8% said "disappointed."
- Women are more likely to be happy about receiving a sex toy as a gift from a friend; men were more likely to feel weird about receiving a sex toy from a friend.
Susan Colvin, CEO of CalExotics, added: "As someone who has been in the adult novelty business for over 35 years, it has been incredible to see how people's perceptions of sex toys have evolved over time. These numbers were much different two decades ago, but pleasure isn't something to be embarrassed about. Pleasure is something to be accepted, celebrated, and yes, even gifted sometimes."
CalExotics, formerly known as California Exotic Novelties, is the world's leading manufacturer of pleasure products. Since 1994, the company has been at the forefront of research and development of products to enhance the intimate experiences of women, men, and couples. With an extensive array of pleasure products in every category, CalExotics services the needs of intimate products retailers worldwide through its network of manufacturing and distribution facilities. Its products are available online and from retailers throughout the world. To learn more about CalExotics, visit calexotics.com. For more information about upcoming products and other exciting news, follow CalExotics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.