SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Gogobot (http://www.gogobot.com), the place where millions of passionate travelers provide insider tips on the world's best destinations, today announces the long-awaited launch of its mobile application for Android devices. The Android app joins the iPhone in the Gogobot app lineup, extending the range of mobile offerings for its social network of travelers. Like the iOS version, the Android app allows Gogobot users to search and book hotels, restaurants and things to do in more than 60,000 destinations worldwide. The app is available in English, German, Italian, Hebrew, Portuguese and Japanese.
The Android app integrates features new to Gogobot's mobile users, including the ability to search and book a hotel on the fly with filters for real-time hotel pricing and availability; user ratings; hotel class; and social recommendations, which Gogobot is known for. The app also includes enhanced restaurant filters that allows for searching and selecting restaurants by cuisine as well as the ability to book a table on the go through a seamless integration with OpenTable.
The app features a smart integration of Google Street View for Android, which uses the phone's compass to turn an Android device into a virtual window, with 360-degree panoramic views of millions of Gogobot locations. Anyone can remotely scope out neighborhoods, restaurants or hotels found on Gogobot to make more informed decisions about their travels.
The app is optimized for Android tablets and phones, with a newly designed user interface, so users can easily and seamlessly browse, discover, and book their travel plans.
Like the rest of the service, recommendations are curated for each user based on the input of friends in their network.
"Every day, a million new users power up an Android device for the first time," said Gogobot CEO and co-founder Travis Katz. "And on Gogobot, 60 percent of all social interaction is done via mobile. With our new Android app, Gogobot has responded to the needs of avid travelers who are Android users with an experience uniquely tailored to maximize the device's capabilities."
Gogobot's new Android app allows users to:
Easily and quickly explore relevant places:
- Search for attractions, restaurants, and hotels, either near your current location or within any city in the world
- Receive recommendations and tips sorted according to your friends' advice
- Browse detailed information on each location, including photos, maps, addresses, phone numbers, operating hours, and user reviews, as well as nearby hotels, restaurants, and attractions
- See a 360-degree panoramic view of a place via Google Street View to get a better sense of an unfamiliar location
Get the best deal on a hotel and book in a snap:
- Filter hotel results by availability, price, minimum user rating, and hotel class
- Book hotels directly on mobile via Booking.com
- Filter restaurants by cuisine and friend ratings
- Make restaurant reservations through OpenTable
Socialize around travel and share experiences with friends:
- Turn great travel moments into digital postcards of places visited and creatively modify photos with filters and custom titles before sharing them on Facebook and Gogobot
- Check-ins at various locations, which is reflected on your passport and shared with friends
- View and share personalized guides of every location visited
To see a demo of the new Android app:
"Mobile will overtake PCs as the most common Web access device worldwide by 2014, and mobile social networks are expected to attract one billion users by 2014, according to the research company Gartner," added Katz. "This means travelers will be accessing – and creating – an increasing amount of information via mobile apps, both in real time and around such destinations and venues as restaurants, hotels, shops and sites."
Gogobot for Android is available for free at Google Play at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gogobot.gogodroid
or for the iPhone or the iPod Touch from the App Store at: http://itunes.apple.com/app/gogobot/id459590827. For more information, go to http://www.gogobot.com.
Gogobot is where people who love to travel share their insider tips and access the travel advice of friends and others to discover, plan and book the perfect trip. By connecting via Facebook and/or Twitter, users receive a personalized list of travel recommendations and can share their experiences across their social networks. Users can book a hotel or restaurant directly through the site via partners including Expedia, Booking.com, Kayak, Priceline and OpenTable.
Founded in November 2010 by Travis Katz and Ori Zaltzman, Gogobot has raised $19 million from leading venture investors, including Battery Ventures, Redpoint Ventures and Innovation Endeavors. Gogobot is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, and also has an office in London.
Contact for U.S.
Mark de la Vina
Phone: +1 415-282-4795
Contact for UK
Phone: +44 20 7324 6196